Guest Author - Michelle Matile
Celebrate St. Patrick at home with this Irish cake and a traditional Irish meal. Irish Chocolate Potato Cake makes a great addition to any celebration, especially a St. Patrick's Day party. Potatoes may seem like an odd addition to a cake. However, the result is a delicious and moist chocolate cake. And best of all it is easy to make. In this recipe I used instant mashed potatoes. It is a great way to use left-over mashed potatoes.
Irish Chocolate Potato Cake Recipe
1 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1/2 cup baking cocoa
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 cup of prepared mashed potatoes (I used instant)
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2/3 cup milk
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Grease a Bundt pan.
3. Combine the flour, cocoa, and baking soda in a small mixing bowl and set aside.
4. Using a mixer, beat the butter and sugar in a large bowl until smooth.
5. Beat in the eggs, one at a time until combined.
6. Add the milk and beat until combined.
7. Add vanilla.
8. Slowly beat in the flour mixture, adding a little bit at a time.
9. Stir in the chocolate chips.
10. Pour the mixture into the greased Bundt pan.
11. Bake for 40 minutes.
12. Allow the cake to cool for about 10-15 minutes before turning on to a platter. If the cake cools too long it may stick to the pan. However, if you turn it over while still warm it may break apart.
13. Dust the cake with confectioner's sugar or drizzle the cake with the chocolate glaze recipe below.
Chocolate Glaze Recipe
3/4 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons corn syrup
1 tablespoon of vanilla
1. Combine the chocolate chips, butter, and corn syrup in a microwave safe bowl.
2. Microwave until melted. I typically like to check the mixture after 10 second intervals to avoid overcooking.
3. Stir in the vanilla.
4. Spread the cake with the glaze.
Enjoy and sweeten the soul with chocolate!