Books & Music
Food & Wine
Health & Fitness
Hobbies & Crafts
Home & Garden
News & Politics
Religion & Spirituality
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Get Started with Your Stamp Collection
Collecting stamp is a very famous hobby. It is a very easy activity that provides fun to many. If you would like to start your own collection of stamps, here is how to get started:
1. To get started with the hobby, you need to decide first on what kind of topic you would like to use for your collection. It is also recommended to start general but it is more exciting to choose a specific theme for your stamps. If you would like to collect postage stamps from other countries, you may start narrowing down your collection from stamps coming from a specific country that interests you.
2. You may also start by buying new stamps from the market. You can start the collection by choosing a specific country that you would like to choose. This will help you get a good start on your collection and this will also prevent duplication of your collection. Buying a whole pack will give you different designs that will make it interesting for you and motivate you to collect more.
3. If money is limited while starting the collection. You may want to consider asking your friends and relatives to give stamps that they are no longer using. They can also help you in asking their friends to donate their stamps to you. This will also be exciting since the stamps came from people who are special to you. This will make you value the stamps more because of their sentimental values.
4. Once your friends and relatives have learned that you are collecting stamps, you will learn that they will give you stamps as gifts for any occasion. This will make the collection easier for you. Some may even exert the effort of getting special editions or commemorative stamps to make you happy.
5. You may then narrow your collection by considering whether you like new or old stamps. Many people prefer old stamps in their collection. New stamps, on the other hand, are easier to find and manage. Once you have decided on what stamps to keep for your collection, you should not throw away the others since you can still exchange them with other collectors.
6. One benefit of stamp collecting is that you will not spend much money for the hobby. You may buy inexpensive tools and supplies needed for your collection. For starters, an album is the first thing to acquire. The most popular kind is the loose-leaf album. A loose-leaf album has a binder that has removable sheets. This will make the stamps easier to manage and compile.
7. It is also important that you should know how to remove the stamps from envelopes before you can place them in your album. You may cut the stamp from the envelope around the stamp but it is important to still leave a space between the scissors and the edges of the stamps. You can then place the stamp with the face turned down on a bowl of warm water. You may then peel the stamp, let it dry and place it in the album.
8. There are many resources where you can get information about stamps and stamp collecting. The Internet is the most effective way to search for stamps and determine where you can get the cheapest and even those that are hard to find. You can also make use of the Internet to make friends with other stamp collectors. This will help you become more interested in the hobby and they ca help you in finding the stamps you are looking for. You can also exchange stamps with one another making your collection bigger and more exciting.
The best part of the collection is displaying them to your friends and loved ones. Once you have your own collection, you can show them to your friends and families. You may even have your own exhibit in the future. One way to let people know about your collection is by putting up your own website. You can make the website a place where you can exhibit all your stamps and you may also provide stories about the stamps and how you got them.
| Related Articles | Editor's Picks Articles | Top Ten Articles | Previous Features | Site Map
Content copyright © 2015 by Gary Eggleston. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Gary Eggleston. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Gary Eggleston for details.
Website copyright © 2015 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.