| ||A moist and flavorful ham that looks beautiful on the table. |
1 16-19-pound smoked fully cooked bone-in ham
36 whole cloves
1 cup orange marmalade
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 cups water
2 cups water
4 orange-spice herb or black tea bags
2 cups canned chicken broth
1 cup orange juice
3 tablespoons orange marmalade
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoons cornstarch dissolved in 1 tablespoon water
Pineapple Relish (recipe follows)
1. Preheat oven to 325F.
2. Trim any rind and excess fat from upper side of ham, leaving 1/4-inch thick layer of fat.
3. Using a sharp knife, score fat in 1-inch-wide diamond pattern. Insert 1 clove into center of each scored diamond.
4. Place ham in a heavy large roasting pan.
5. Bake until thermometer inserted into center registers 120F, about 3-1/2 hours.
6. While ham is cooking, melt marmalade in heavy small saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in 1/4 cup mustard and 2 tablespoons water. Boil until mixture thickens enough to coat spoon without dripping, about 6 minutes. Set aside.
7. Remove ham from oven and transfer to cutting board.
8. Increase oven temperature to 425F.
9. Place same roasting pan atop burner set on medium heat. Whisk remaining 1-1/2 cups water into pan, scraping up browned bits of ham from bottom. Transfer pan juices to a glass measuring cup. Freeze for 15 minutes. Spoon fat off top. Reserve the juices at room temperature.
10. Line same pan with foil. Return ham to pan. Generously spoon marmalade mixture over ham. Bake ham until glaze is set and begins to caramelize, about 20 minutes. Remove ham from oven and let stand 30 minutes at room temperature.
11. Meanwhile, prepare the sauce. Bring 2 cups water to boil in heavy medium saucepan. Add tea bags. Remove from heat; cover and let steep 10 minutes. Discard tea bags. Add chicken broth, orange juice and marmalade to tea. Boil mixture until reduced to 3 cups, about 12 minutes. Whisk in Dijon mustard and reserved pan juices. Return to boil. Whisk in cornstarch mixture. Boil until sauce thickens slightly, about 4 minutes. Season sauce with salt and pepper.
11. Carve ham and serve with sauce and relish.
1/2 large pineapple, peeled, cored and cut into 1/4-inch pieces
1/2 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
1. Stir all ingredients in large bowl to blend. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
2. Makes 4 cups. This can be made 1 day ahead just cover and chill.