Guest Author - Michelle Matile
It is so easy to over indulge during the holidays. Decadent candies and goodies are calling our name everywhere we look. It is nice to have a lower calorie dessert option to turn to. But it still has to be delicious or otherwise what’s the point? Most people will not even be able to tell this dessert is lower in calories than the average holiday splurge. This trifle recipe is made with sugar free instant pudding prepared with skim milk. Fat free whipped topping is used in place of regular whipped topping. Angel food cake is one of the best options for cakes when trying to keep it low calorie. The average slice of chocolate angel food cake has 140 calories while the cake remains sweet, light, and fluffy. A regular slice of chocolate cake can range from 250-300 calories. All of these substitutions are going to save a bundle in calories.
Chocolate Angel Food Cake and Strawberry Trifle
1 box of angel food cake mix such as Duncan Hines or Betty Crocker
1/2 cup of unsweetened cocoa
1 1/4 cup of water if using either Duncan Hines or Betty Crocker angel food cake mix
2 packages of sugar free instant vanilla pudding prepared with skim milk
1 1/2 tubs of 8 oz. fat free whipped topping
3 cups of Strawberries
1. Mix angel food cake mix and cocoa in large mixing bowl. Prepare according to directions on package. Angel food cake mixes typically only need water mixed with them.
2. Once the cake is baked and cooled you are ready to assemble your trifle.
3. Prepare pudding according to instructions on the box.
4. The trifle will be 3 layers. Take a third of your cake and break it up into pieces in the bottom of a trifle bowl.
5. Layer one third of the pudding on the cake layer.
6. Spread one half of a container of the whipped topping.
7. Top with 1/3 of fruit.
8. Repeat until you have 3 layers.
The total recipe (not including the fruit) has 2916 calories. This averages out to 162 calories per serving. If the recipe was made with regular pudding, chocolate cake, and regular whipped topping the total calories would be 5137 calories. Per serving this is 285 calories.
Sweeten the soul with chocolate!