Guest Author - Michelle Matile
Chocolate covered Oreos are an easy, delicious treat. They are a great option to add to a cookie tray, give as a gift, or as party favors. You can decorate these Oreos to match the occasion. The cookies in these recipes are for an elegant affair such as a bridal shower or wedding. The edible, gold dust adds a special sparkle. Edible dust comes in many different colors. Choose the dust based on the color and theme of your event.
Chocolate covered Oreos Recipe
1 12 oz. package of white chocolate candy melts
Candy molds for Oreo cookies
Edible gold dust
1. Melt the chocolate candy melts over a double boiler. (Creating your own double boiler is easy. Heat the water in a sauce pan. Melt the candy melts in a second sauce pan or metal bowl sitting on top of the first one). You do not want to overheat the chocolate. The consistency can become too thick when doing so. The water should be simmering, not boiling.
2. Fill the cookie mold about 1/3 full with the white chocolate.
3. Tap the sides to remove any bubbles and even out.
4. Place an Oreo cookie in each mold, slightly pressing down.
5. Cover the cookie with additional chocolate until it is completely covered and reaches the top.
6. Freeze for 12 minutes.
7. Once frozen, remove from freezer.
8. Place all the chocolate covered Oreos on a cookie sheet covered with wax paper.
9. Drizzle melted chocolate on the cookies. You may need to remelt the chocolate.
10. Freeze for an additional 5 minutes.
11. Using a pastry brush, decorate the cookies with the edible gold for an elegant effect.
Each mold makes 4 chocolate covered cookies. If you only have one you will need to repeat the process 3 times. Candy making supplies, such as the candy melts and edible dust can be purchased at craft and candy making supply stores. These stores typically carry candy molds specifically for Oreo cookies as well. If making these for a party favor, package in a cellophane bag with a decorative ribbon or in a candy box.
Enjoy and sweeten the soul with chocolate.