Curry chicken and vegetables is a delicious spicy dish that combines chicken, mushrooms, baby corn and spinach in an amazing curry coconut sauce. There are many different versions of curry, most of which use a combination of curry seasoning and coconut milk for the sauce. To make this dish a bit on the lighter side I used a combination of curry, chicken broth and lite coconut milk. If you prefer a richer dish, then feel free to use whole fat coconut milk and less broth as desired.
There are also different versions of curry paste available. Some can usually be found in the ethnic section of most local grocery stores. For this recipe I used Patak’s hot curry paste. There are also medium and mild versions for those who want less spiciness. Try this recipe and let me know what you think in the Chinese food forum found here. Enjoy!
To watch a video of these instructions click here.
3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 tsp garlic salt
14 oz can baby corn
15 oz can straw mushrooms
1 tbsp peanut oil
˝ cup hot curry paste
1 cup chicken broth
13.5 oz can lite coconut milk
1 bag fresh pre washed spinach
- Remove all of the fat from the chicken and then cut each breast into 1 inch pieces. Place these chicken pieces in a container and sprinkle them with the garlic salt. Use your hand to mix it in thoroughly, and then set the chicken aside.
- Open and drain both the can of baby corn and the can of straw mushrooms and set them aside.
- In a large non stick pot, heat the peanut oil on high.
- Once the oil is hot, add the chicken and let it cook until it browns, about 5 to 8 minutes.
- Then add in the baby corn and the straw mushrooms and stir fry everything for about 1 minute.
- Next, add in the curry paste and stir until it is thoroughly mixed into the chicken and vegetables.
- Then add in the chicken broth and the coconut milk and stir until everything is mixed together.
- Add the spinach and stir it in as best as you can. Then turn the heat down to low and cover. It’s okay if most of the spinach sits on top, it will eventually wilt down into the curry sauce. Let it simmer for about 10 minutes or until all of the spinach wilts and is tender.
- Serve with white rice. Makes about 5 servings.