Chinese five spice powder is a combination of different spices that brings an amazing flavor to many Asian dishes. Five spice powder can be found in most oriental grocery stores and sometimes at local grocery stores in the ethnic section. The main spices that make up the five spice powder are usually fennel, star anise, Szechuan peppercorn, cloves and cinnamon. However there are a few variations of this amazing combination. Some use ginger or black pepper instead of the Szechuan peppercorns. The one used in this recipe uses ginger and gives these grilled chicken skewers a light and delicious flavor. Enjoy!
To watch a video of these instructions click here.
3 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp five spice powder
3 tbsp light brown sugar
1 tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp peanut oil
3 tbsp sherry
3 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1.5 lbs)
5 metal or bamboo skewers
- In a large cup mix together the soy sauce, five spice powder, light brown sugar, sesame oil, peanut oil and sherry. Stir until everything is thoroughly combined and then set this marinade aside.
- Remove all of the fat from the chicken and then cut each breast into 1 inch pieces. Place these chicken pieces in a bowl that has a tight fitting lid.
- Pour the marinade on top of the chicken and use your hand to mix it in thoroughly so that each piece is evenly coated. Then put the lid on the chicken, place it in the refrigerator and let it marinate for 2 Ĺ hours.
- Once the chicken marinates, place about 8 to 9 pieces on each individual skewer. I prefer to use long metal skewers which make it easier to grill. You can also use bamboo skewers for this recipe as well. Just make sure to soak them for about 20 minutes prior to skewering the chicken.
- After all of the chicken pieces are on skewers, turn a grill on high and let it get hot.
- Once hot, place the skewers on the grill. If you are using long metal skewers, make sure to let the ends hang off the end of the grill so that they can easily be turned.
- Cover the grill and let the skewers cook for about 2 to 3 minutes then flip them over, cover and cook them for 2 to 3 more minutes.
- Flip them one more time and watch them as they cook, about 1 to 2 minutes. Check a piece to make sure the chicken is cooked through.
- Then remove them and place them on a plate to be served.
- This is great served alongside fried rice and stir fried garlic green beans. You can also serve these skewers on top of a salad as well. Makes about 5 skewers.