Guest Author - Michelle Matile
Nutella is one of my favorite treats. Nutella is a brand of chocolate and hazelnut spread. I was excited to make my own at home and the result was amazing! Making this was a lot easier than I anticipated. When making this recipe you can add as much or as little chocolate as you like, depending on your preference. Please note this recipe does require a food processor.
Chocolate and Hazelnut Spread Recipe
4.5 oz. of hazelnuts (I happened to have a 9 oz. bag of hazelnuts and used half)
1 cup of sweetened condensed milk
1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 tablespoon vanilla
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Layer the hazelnuts in a single layer on a cookie sheet.
3. Bake for 10 minutes.
4. Take out and allow to cool.
5. Once cooled, place the toasted hazelnuts in a food processor.
6. Grind the hazelnuts until they form a paste. (This does take quite a few minutes; I stopped every few minutes to scrape the sides of the bowl).
7. In a small sauce pan over low heat combine sweetened condensed milk, chocolate chips, cocoa, and vanilla.
8. Stir until melted and smooth.
9. Add the melted chocolate mixture, a little at a time, to the ground hazelnut paste in the food processor.
10. Blend together until smooth and combined.
11. Store in an airtight container.
This lasts for a few weeks. I never have to worry about how long it will keep; mine is gone in a few days.
There are many ways to enjoy this chocolate spread. Here are my 5 favorite ways to enjoy chocolate hazelnut spread:
1. Spread on toast.
2. Dip your banana or other favorite fruit in it.
3. Whip some heavy cream into fresh whipped cream and then add the hazelnut spread. This makes a chocolate and hazelnut mousse, pure decadence.
4. Use as a super easy, delicious frosting.
5. Fill your crepes with the spread and have for breakfast or dessert.
An honorable mention to the list is to eat it by the spoonful, yum.
Enjoy and sweeten the soul with chocolate.