Chicken with broccoli is a Chinese restaurant staple. The stir fried combination of tender chicken with crisp broccoli tossed in a light tasty sauce is sure to please any crowd. Try this delicious recipe and let me know what you think in the Chinese food forum found here. Enjoy!
To watch a video for these instructions click here.
3 boneless skinless chicken breasts (1.5 lbs)
2 broccoli crowns
5oz of pre shredded carrots (optional)
1 ½ tbsp peanut oil
1 ½ tbsp stir fry oil
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp sherry
2 tbsp cornstarch
1 cup chicken broth
2 tbsp shao hsing wine
1 tbsp soy sauce
½ tbsp sugar
1 ½ tbsp cornstarch
- Remove all of the fat from the chicken breasts and cut them into 1 inch cubes. Place these cubes in a container with a tight fitting lid, and add the marinade in the following steps. Start by mixing in the soy sauce and sherry. Then, using your hand, slowly add the cornstarch making sure to coat each piece smoothly. Cover the chicken and let it sit for about 15 to 20 minutes at room temperature.
- While the chicken marinates, prepare the broccoli. Cut the florets off the crowns and then break any large florets into smaller pieces. Place the broccoli pieces in a large microwave safe bowl and cover them with hot water. Microwave them on high for about 2 minutes, or just until slightly soft, but still crisp. This is comparable to parboiling. Keep in mind we want the broccoli to still be crisp in the final dish. When the broccoli is done, drain it in a colander and set it aside.
- In a large cup, mix together all of the ingredients for the sauce except for the cornstarch. Then set this mixture aside.
- In a small cup, mix the cornstarch with just a little water until it dissolves. This will be the thickener for the sauce.
- Once the chicken marinates heat a large non stick pot or wok on high. Then add the peanut oil and swirl it around the wok to coat.
- Once the oil is hot, add the chicken and stir fry it for about 5 to 6 minutes or until it is thoroughly cooked and is no longer pink in the center. Then remove it and set it aside.
- Wipe out the wok and then return it to the high heat. Once the wok is hot, add the stir fry oil and let it get hot.
- When the oil is hot add the carrots and stir fry them for 1 minute.
- Then add the broccoli and stir fry everything for another minute.
- Add the sauce and let it get hot. Just as the sauce starts to come to a boil, add the cornstarch mixture. Bring the sauce to a full boil, stirring it until it thickens.
- Once the sauce thickens, return the chicken to the wok and stir until everything is thoroughly coated with the sauce.
- When everything is coated with the sauce, remove it from the heat and serve. This goes great with either white or fried rice. Makes 3 servings.