Guest Author - Lisa Babick
The most incredible, moist, creamy and to die-for chocolate cake you will ever have. A must at any holiday or special occasion.
1 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 ounces unsweetened chocolate squares, broken
1 tablespoon cocoa
1-1/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup water
3/4 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
Icing (recipe follows)
1. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large mixing bowl; set aside.
2. In a blender or food processor, mix unsweetened chocolate, cocoa and sugar. Blend until crumbly.
3. Place water in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Add chocolate mixture. Blend until chocolate melts.
4. In another bowl, whisk eggs together. Add butter, sour cream and vanilla. and mix with an electric mixer until well-blended.
5. Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and mix until smooth. Add the melted chocolate and mix until well-blended.
6. Lightly oil and four and 8-inch spring form pan. Add batter.
7. Bake at 350F for 1 hour or until cake begins to pull away from the pan sides.
8. Remove from oven and cool. Once cooled, remove from spring form pan and ice.
1/2 cup heavy cream
6 ounces bittersweet chocolate squares, broken
In a small saucepan, add cream and scald. Add chocolate and stir for one minute. Remove pan from heat and continue to stir icing until chocolate squares are completely melted. Allow icing to cool to a warm temperature then spread on cake. Refrigerate cake to allow icing to completely set before serving.