Guest Author - Michelle Matile
These sundaes start with a base of cream cheese pound cake. While this cake is delicious on its own, why stop there. Each slice of pound cake is then topped with ice cream, and then drizzled or drenched (depending on your preference) with Pinot Noir chocolate ganache. There are so many variations you can do for this sundae. For this recipe I used store bought ice cream and opted for chocolate chip, but you can use your favorite ice cream flavor or even make your own ice cream. The chocolate ganache is homemade with Pinot Noir, but you can replace with a different red wine. The ganache only calls for 1 1/2 tablespoons of red wine, so feel free to use whatever you may be drinking at the time. Another option is making this recipe kid friendly. For a family treat omit the red wine and replace with additional cream.
Pound Cake and Red Wine Chocolate Ganache Sundae Recipe:
Cream Cheese Pound Cake Recipe
1 (8 oz.) package of cream cheese, softened
2 sticks of butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tablespoon vanilla
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
2. In a large mixing bowl beat the cream cheese, butter, and vanilla together with an electric mixer until smooth and creamy.
3. Add sugar and beat until combined.
4. Add eggs one at a time, beating after each egg.
5. Slowly add flour, 1/2 cup at a time, beating after each addition.
6. Pour batter into a greased Bundt pan.
7. Bake for about 1 hour and 20 minutes. Insert a tooth pick after one hour to check the cake. Once the tooth pick comes out clean, you will know it is done.
Pinot Noir Ganache Recipe
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 tablespoon heavy cream
1.5 tablespoons of Pinot Noir
1. In a small sauce pan over low heat add chocolate chips, cream, and red wine.
2. Stir constantly until melted and smooth.
Once cake has cooled, slice pound cake. Add a scoop of ice cream to each slice and drizzle with red wine ganache.
Enjoy and sweeten the soul with chocolate!