Beef with oyster sauce is a delicious Chinese restaurant favorite. Oyster sauce has a very unique flavor that is paired with thinly sliced tender beef to create an amazingly tasty dish. The recipe below includes strips of green pepper and thinly sliced carrot which add texture and color to this dish. Feel free to use other combinations of vegetables if you wish. Both snow peas and Chinese broccoli also pair well with the beef and oyster sauce. Try this delicious recipe and let me know what you think in the Chinese food forum found here. Enjoy!
To watch a video for these instructions click here.
1½ lb lean beef (tenderloin or flank)
1 large green bell pepper
1 large green onion
1 large carrot
2 tbsp stir fry oil
1 tbsp sherry
1 tsp sugar
¼ tsp salt
1 tbsp cornstarch
2 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tbsp sherry
1 tsp sugar
- Remove all of the fat from the meat. Then cut it into thin wide pieces and place these pieces in a container that has a tight fitting lid.
- Add the marinade in the following order. First, add the sherry and stir it in thoroughly. Then sprinkle in the sugar and salt using your hand to make sure that they both coat each piece of meat. Next add the cornstarch, again using your hand to make sure that it is evenly distributed. Cover and let the meat marinate at room temperature for 20 minutes.
- While the meat marinates, prepare the other ingredients.
- Remove the stem from the green pepper. Cut it in half and remove the seeds and the inner white meat. Then rinse the pepper halves under cold running water and dry them with pepper towels. Cut each half into thin strips and then cut these strips in half long ways and set them aside.
- Rinse the green onion under cold running water and dry it with paper towels. Cut the base and about an inch from the top of the green stalk and discard. Then cut the remaining part of the stalk into tiny pieces and set them aside.
- Peel the carrot. Then cut it on a diagonal into thin strips and set them aside.
- In a small cup, mix together all of the ingredients for the sauce and set this mixture aside.
- Once the beef has marinated heat a wok on high. Once the wok is hot, add one tablespoon of the stir fry oil and let it get hot.
- When the oil is hot, add the beef and stir fry it for just one to two minutes. The center of each piece should still be lightly pink.
- After one to two minutes, remove the meat from the wok, place it on a plate and set it aside.
- Return the wok to the heat and add the remaining tablespoon of stir fry oil.
- When the oil is hot, add the green pepper and carrots and stir fry them for 3 minutes or until they are soft.
- Once they are soft, add the sauce mixture and return the beef to the wok. Stir until everything is heated through. Then stir in the green onions and remove the wok from the heat.
- Serve with either white or fried rice. Makes about 3 servings.