Chinese salt and pepper pork chops are a popular restaurant treat. These chops are quite easy to make at home and make a delicious meal served alongside stir fried green beans and fried rice. Try this amazing recipe and let me know what you think in the Chinese food forum found here. Enjoy!
5 thin cut pork chops
2 large green onions
¼ cup flour
¾ cup cornstarch
¼ tsp regular salt
2 tsp ground black pepper
1 to 2 cups peanut oil
2 tsp crushed red pepper
2 tsp sea salt
1/8 tsp garlic salt
1 tsp soy sauce
2 tbsp sherry
- Remove all of the fat from the pork, then lightly sprinkle both sides of all the chops with the garlic salt.
- Then place the chops in a bowl and add the soy sauce and sherry. Let the pork marinate for 20 minutes at room temperature.
- While the pork marinates, prepare the other ingredients. Rinse the green onions under cold running water and dry them with paper towels. Then cut about an inch from the tops of the greens and the very bottom of their bases and discard. Next cut the remaining stalks into small slices less than 1/8 inch thick and set these pieces aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, cornstarch, regular salt and just one teaspoon of the ground black pepper. Set this mixture aside until the pork chops have marinated.
- Once the pork chops marinate, in a large non stick wok or frying pan, heat the oil on high.
- While the oil heats, dredge each pork chop in the flour mixture and set it on a plate.
- When the oil is hot, slowly place 2 of the pork chops in the wok. Fry them for about 5 to 10 minutes, depending on the thickness. Remember, we want to make sure that the pork is completely cooked through.
- Once the pork chops are cooked through, remove them with a slotted spatula and place them on a plate lined with paper towels to drain. Continue cooking the remaining pork chops.
- After all the pork is cooked, remove all of the oil from the wok except for 2 tablespoons. Heat this oil on high.
- When the oil is hot, add the crushed red pepper, sea salt and green onions. Stir fry everything for just one minute. Then return the pork chops to the wok. Gently stir to coat the chops and let them cook for just 1 to 2 minutes, then remove them and serve.
- Serve these with sides of fried rice and stir fried green beans. Makes 5 servings.