Guest Author - Michelle Matile
In the midst of fall everyone loves a good apple dessert. There are not too many apple desserts that include chocolate. This apple crisp has a crumb topping that includes chocolate chips. I love the combination of chocolate and cinnamon with the apple. Apple crisp is one of my favorite autumn desserts. It is easy and does not include the intensive labor of making dough for an apple pie. I used red delicious apples, mostly because they are my favorite but I also had some on hand. You can use any apple of your choice. This is a great treat to make after apple picking.
Chocolate Chip Apple Crisp Recipe
1/3 cup of white sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon water
1/2 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup Quick cooking oats
1/2 cup flour
1/4 brown sugar
3 tablespoons melted butter
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Grease an 8 x 8 baking pan.
3. Peel the apples and slice them.
4. Add a little bit of lemon juice to the sliced apples to prevent browning.
5. Combine the white sugar and cinnamon in a medium size bowl.
6. Toss the apples with the cinnamon and sugar mixture.
7. Add the apples to the baking dish.
8. Combine the oats, flour, and brown sugar.
9. Add the melted butter and mix until crumbs start to form.
10. Add the chocolate chips and stir once.
11. Cover the apples with the crumb mixture.
12. Bake for 45 minutes.
13. Serve warm.
14. Optional, add vanilla ice cream.
Trying to be healthy this season? Another great fall idea for leftover apples is to dip in chocolate. Peel and slice the apples. Dip them in chocolate and sprinkle with nuts. Let the chocolate harden in the refrigerator or freezer. This is a delicious and healthy treat, especially if you use dark chocolate. Apples are a great source of fiber and antioxidants. Dark chocolate is also a good source of antioxidants. Add in the protein from peanuts and you have a great fall snack.
Enjoy and sweeten the soul with chocolate!