This bell pepper chicken stir fry recipe combines the amazing flavors and textures of red and green bell peppers, Chinkiang vinegar with just a hint of sweetness to create a wonderfully delicious dish. Try this easy chicken stir fry recipe and let me know what you think in the Chinese food forum found here. Enjoy!
To watch a video for these instructions click here.
3 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1.5 lbs)
2 red bell peppers
2 green bell peppers
1 tsp cornstarch
2 cups peanut oil
1 tsp jarred pre chopped garlic
¼ tsp salt
1 tbsp sherry
1 egg white
1 tbsp cornstarch
½ tbsp oil
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp Chinkiang vinegar
2 tsp cooking sherry
1 tsp sugar
- Remove all of the fat from the chicken and then cut each breast into 1 inch pieces and place them in a container that has a tight fitting lid.
- Next, apply the marinade in the following order. First sprinkle in the salt mixing it in with your hands to make sure that each piece gets evenly coated. Then stir in the sherry.
- Next add the egg white slowly using your hand to gently coat each piece of chicken while making sure not to froth the egg.
- Then sprinkle in the cornstarch coating each piece.
- Finally, add the oil and stir to coat. Let the meat marinate for 30 minutes at room temperature.
- While the chicken marinates, prepare the other ingredients. Cut both the red and green peppers in half and remove their stems, seeds, and inner white meat.
- Then rinse all of the halves under cold running water and dry them with paper towels.
- Cut each of the pepper halves into 1 inch pieces and set them aside.
- In a cup, mix together all of the ingredients for the sauce and then set this mixture aside.
- In a smaller cup, mix the cornstarch with just a little water until it dissolves and then set it aside as well.
- When the chicken has marinated, in a wok heat the peanut oil on medium high. Keep in mind that we don’t want the oil so hot that the meat sizzles. If the oil is too hot it will overcook the meat and make it tough.
- Once the oil is heated, add the meat and lightly stir with either a fork or chopsticks for just 30 seconds to a minute, or until cooked through. Then remove it with a slotted spoon and place the chicken pieces on a plate lined with paper towels.
- After the chicken is done, remove all of the oil from the wok except for 1 tablespoon.
- Heat this tablespoon of oil on high.
- Once it is hot, add the pre chopped garlic and stir fry it for 30 seconds.
- Then add the red and green peppers and stir fry everything for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Next add the sauce mixture and return the chicken to the wok. Mix everything together and let it come to a boil.
- Once the sauce just begins to bubble, add the cornstarch mixture and stir until the sauce thickens.
- Remove it from the heat and serve. Makes 3 servings.