This shrimp and asparagus stir fry recipe combines the tenderness of shrimp with the delicious light delicate flavor and crisp texture of asparagus. Try this easy shrimp and asparagus stir fry recipe and let me know what you think in the Chinese food forum found here. Enjoy!
1 lb fresh large shrimp
¾ lb asparagus
2 to 3 cups peanut oil
1½ tbsp stir fry oil
1 tsp jarred pre chopped garlic
1 tsp shao hsing wine
1 tsp salt
1 ½ tbsp cornstarch
1 cup chicken broth
2 tbsp shao hsing wine
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp sugar
1 ½ tbsp cornstarch
- Remove all of the shells and tails from the shrimp and then devein them.
- Place the shrimp in a container with a tight fitting lid and add the marinade in the following order. First add the shao hsing wine and salt using your hand to make sure that each piece is thoroughly coated. Then slowly add in the cornstarch again using your hand until it is evenly distributed. Cover the shrimp and let them marinate at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- While the shrimp marinate, prepare the other ingredients. Rinse the asparagus under cold running water and dry them with paper towels. Then take one of the asparagus and slowly bend it until it breaks somewhere near the end of the stalk. This is the point at which the bottom of the stalks should be cut and discarded because they will be too tough for the final dish. Line this asparagus up with the others and cut off all of the stalks at this point. If you prefer, you can also individually break each stalk by hand as well.
- Once all the bottoms of the stalks are discarded, cut each asparagus into 1½ inch pieces on a diagonal, then set these pieces aside.
- In a large cup, mix together all of the ingredients for the sauce except for the cornstarch. Then set this mixture aside.
- In a small cup, mix the cornstarch with just a little water until it dissolves. This will be the thickener for the sauce.
- Once the shrimp has marinated, in a large non stick pot or wok, heat the peanut oil on high.
- When the oil is hot (350F) add the shrimp and let them cook for 30 seconds to a minute, or just until pink. Then remove them with a slotted spoon or spatula and place them on a plate lined with paper towels.
- After the shrimp are cooked, remove all of the oil from the wok and wipe it out with a paper towel.
- Next, heat the wok on high. Once hot add the stir fry oil and let this oil get hot.
- When the oil is hot, add the garlic and stir fry it for about 30 seconds to a minute, or just until fragrant.
- Then add the asparagus and stir fry them for 1½ minutes.
- Next, add the sauce and let it come to a boil.
- Just as the sauce begins to bubble, add the cornstarch mixture and stir until the sauce becomes thick.
- Once the sauce thickens, return the shrimp to the wok and stir until everything is thoroughly coated with the sauce.
- Serve immediately with either white or fried rice. Makes 2 to 3 servings.