Guest Author - Michelle Matile
These ice cream sandwiches are perfect for fall. Pumpkin ice cream is sandwiched between two ginger cookies. Oozing from these sandwiches is also a layer of chocolate ganache and toffee bits. This recipe makes 8 sandwiches. You will have left over ice cream. If you prefer to use all the ice cream double the batch of cookies.
Pumpkin Ice Cream Sandwich Recipe
Makes 8 ice cream sandwiches
Soft ginger Cookie Recipe
Makes 16 large cookies
2 1/4 cups flour
1 tablespoon ginger
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 tablespoon water
2 tablespoons molasses
1. Combine the flour, baking soda, and spices and set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl combine the sugar and butter and beat until smooth and fluffy.
3. Beat in the egg and the vanilla.
4. Beat in the molasses and water.
5. Slowly stir in the flour mixture, a little at a time.
6. Refrigerate for one hour.
7. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
8. Form the dough in balls about 2 inches in diameter and drop on a greased cookie sheet.
9. Bake for 14-16 minutes.
10. Cool for a few minutes on the cookie sheet then transfer to a cooling rack. Allow the cookies to completely cool.
Pumpkin Ice Cream Recipe
2 1/2 cups cream
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
1 cup canned pumpkin
1 tablespoon cinnamon
2 teaspoons ginger
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1. Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl and whisk until smooth.
2. Follow the instructions on your ice cream maker and freeze for a few hours before preparing the sandwiches.
Chocolate Ganache Recipe
1/2 cup chocolate
2 1/2 tablespoons cream
1/4 cup of English toffee baking bits
1. Make the ganache right before you will be assembling the ice cream sandwiches. In a small pan combine the chocolate and the cream and allow to melt over low heat.
2. Continue stirring until ganache is smooth.
3. To assemble the sandwiches spread ganache over one cookie.
4. Sprinkle the cookie with toffee bits.
5. Scoop ice cream onto the chocolate ganache layer.
6. Top with an additional cookie.
7. Wrap each cookie with plastic wrap and store in an airtight container in the freezer. I placed each prepared sandwich in the freezer immediately after preparing.
Enjoy and sweeten the soul with chocolate!