Chinese chicken and sweet corn soup is a delicious restaurant favorite. The recipe below combines shredded chicken, corn, and strands of egg in a creamy chicken broth base. I sometimes add a little white pepper just to give the soup an extra kick. This dish makes a great lunch served alongside fried rice or egg rolls. Try this delicious chicken and sweet corn soup recipe and let me know what you think in the Chinese food forum found here. Enjoy!
1 boneless skinless chicken breast (about ¼ lb)
4 cups chicken broth
2 large green onions
3 tbsp cornstarch
1 large egg
1 can sweet creamed corn
2 tsp soy sauce
- Remove all of the fat from the chicken breast. Then cut it into thin slices. Place these chicken pieces in a large pot that has a lid.
- Pour the chicken broth over the chicken slices and bring the soup to a boil.
- Once the soup boils turn the heat down to low, place the cover on the pot and let it simmer for about 15 minutes.
- While the soup simmers, prepare the other ingredients.
- Rinse the green onion stalks under cold running water and dry them with paper towels. Then cut off the ends and about ½ inch from the green tops and discard. Cut the remaining stalks into tiny slices and set them aside.
- In a small cup, mix the cornstarch with a little water, just until it dissolves.
- In another large cup, add the egg and beat it with a fork. Then add a tablespoon of water and beat it in with the egg until it’s thoroughly mixed together and then set it aside.
- After the soup boils for 15 minutes, check the chicken to make sure it is cooked through, then stir and shred the pieces with a fork.
- Next, add the corn and soy sauce and turn the heat to high. Bring the soup back up to a boil.
- Once it boils, add the cornstarch mixture and stir for about 1 to 2 minutes, or until the soup slightly thickens.
- Next, turn off the heat and give the egg mixture a quick stir with a fork. Then while stirring the soup, slowly add the egg mixture by drizzling a thin stream into the pot.
- Once the egg is mixed in, place the soup into bowls and top each one with green onions. Makes about 4 servings.