Oxtails are excellent in soups and stews. This slow cooked oxtail recipe combines the flavors of curry, lemon grass, tamarind, and hot chili garlic sauce to make a deliciously spicy and tasty meal. Try this slow cooked oxtail recipe and let me know what you think in the Chinese food forum found here. Enjoy!
To watch a video for these instructions click here.
7 oxtail pieces
Ĺ cup all purpose flour
1 tbsp curry powder
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp peanut oil
1 tbsp hot chili garlic sauce
Ĺ cup chicken broth
Ĺ of a 35oz can of peeled plum tomatoes
1 tsp dried lemon grass
2 pieces dried galangal
1 tsp tamarind paste
2 to 3 cups chicken broth
- Trim off the excess outside fat from each of the oxtail pieces.
- In a large bowl mix together the flour, curry powder and salt. Stir until everything is thoroughly mixed together.
- Next, take each of the oxtail pieces and dip them into the flour mixture, coating all sides of each piece.
- Once all the pieces of meat are coated with the flour mixture, in a large shallow non stick pan heat the peanut oil on high.
- When the oil is hot add about 4 of the oxtail pieces and cook them until all of their sides are browned. About 3 to 5 minutes on each side. Depending on the size of your pan, you may need to cook less or add more. Just keep in mind that we donít want to overcrowd the pan.
- After the pieces are brown on all sides, remove them and place them on a plate and set them aside. Continue cooking the remaining oxtail pieces.
- Once all of the oxtail is cooked, heat the pan on high without wiping it out. Then add the hot chili garlic sauce and stir fry it for about 30 seconds.
- After 30 seconds, add the chicken broth and using a spatula deglaze the pan by scraping up all of the little brown bits from the bottom. Then remove the pan from the heat.
- Place the oxtail pieces in a slow cooker and pour the sauce from the pan on top of them.
- Next, add the plum tomatoes, dried lemon grass, dried galangal, and tamarind paste.
- Then add enough chicken broth to submerge the oxtail pieces. This may be more or less depending on the size of your slow cooker.
- Gently stir to mix the ingredients together. Then cover and let it cook on low for 8 hours.
- After 8 hours, then it is ready to serve. This is great served over white steamed rice. Makes 5 to 7 servings.