Guest Author - Michelle Matile
Chocolate bark is one of the easiest and delicious treats to make. If you need an extra cookie or candy to add to your holiday cookie trays this is it. Chocolate bark consists of chunks of chocolate melted down, then mixed with candies, crushed cookies or nuts. This is definitely a treat you can get creative with. Keep experimenting with new combinations.
Chocolate bark makes a great money saving gift, perfect for the holidays. Package it in a candy box and tie with a pretty ribbon. My all-time favorite is peppermint bark. The cost of 1 lb. of peppermint bark ranges. You can easily pay $25-$30. This recipe makes 2 lbs. and costs about $7. That averages to $3.50 per lb. You will be amazed at how easy it is to make.
1 lb. of milk chocolate candy melts
1 lb. of white chocolate candy melts
10 Candy Canes
1. Melt the milk chocolate in a double boiler.
2. Spread onto a cookie sheet covered in wax paper.
3. Allow to set and harden a bit while preparing the white chocolate.
4. Melt the white chocolate in a double boiler.
5. As the white chocolate is melting crush the candy canes in a blender.
6. Once the white chocolate is melted add the crushed peppermints to it.
7. Spread mixture over the milk chocolate.
8. Freeze for 10-15 minute or until hard.
9. Break into pieces.
10. Package in a clear cellophane bag or candy box and tie with ribbon.
A variation and simpler version is to just melt white chocolate and add crushed peppermints; freeze until it hardens. White chocolate and peppermint are delicious on their own; I just prefer another layer of chocolate.
There are many variations to chocolate bark.
Some of my favorites include:
Milk chocolate, Heath, and caramel
White chocolate and crushed Oreo
Milk chocolate, pistachios, and maraschino cherries
Dark chocolate, walnuts, cranberries
Dark chocolate and pretzels
Milk chocolate, macadamia nuts, and white chocolate chips.
The possibilities are endless! Have fun and experiment with your own favorites.
Enjoy and Sweeten the Soul with chocolate!