This spicy Szechuan eggplant recipe combines the flavors of green onion, garlic and ginger that are spiced with hot bean paste and balanced with just a hint of sweetness. Try this Szechuan eggplant recipe and let me know what you think in the Chinese food forum found here. Enjoy!
3 to 4 Chinese eggplants (or 1 regular eggplant)
¼ piece fresh ginger
2 cloves garlic
1 large green onion
1 tsp cornstarch
1/3 cup peanut oil
1 tbsp hot bean paste
1 tsp sesame oil
½ cup chicken broth
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tsp chinkiang vinegar
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
- Rinse the eggplants under cold running water and dry them with paper towels.
- Then cut off the ends of each of the eggplants and discard. Then without removing the skin, cut the eggplants into ½ inch to 1 inch squares and then set them aside.
- Using either a spoon or a knife, remove the skin from the ginger. Then dice it into tiny pieces and set them aside.
- With the back of a knife, carefully smash each garlic clove. Then remove each peel and cut them into tiny pieces. Set these pieces aside.
- Next, rinse the green onion under cold running water and dry it with paper towels. Remove the very base and about an inch from the top of the greens and discard. Then cut the remaining stalk into tiny pieces and set them aside.
- In a regular sized cup, mix together all of the ingredients for the sauce and then set this mixture aside.
- In a small cup mix the cornstarch with just a little water until it dissolves. This will be the thickener for the sauce mixture. Set the cornstarch aside.
- Heat a wok on high and then add the peanut oil and let it get hot.
- Once the oil is hot, add the eggplant and stir fry it for about 6 minutes, or until soft.
- Once soft, remove it from the wok, pressing it with a spatula to remove the excess oil. Place it on a plate lined with paper towels and set it aside.
- Once all the eggplant is removed, remove all of the oil except for 1 tablespoon and heat it on high.
- When the oil is hot add the ginger, garlic and green onion and stir fry them for 30 seconds.
- Then add the hot bean paste and stir fry this for another 20 seconds.
- Next, add the sauce mixture and return the eggplant to the wok. Then let the sauce come to a boil.
- Once it starts to come to a boil add the cornstarch mixture and stir until the sauce thickens.
- Then remove it from the heat, gently stir in the sesame oil, and serve. Makes about 6 servings.