Clay pot cooking is easy and makes for amazingly flavorful dishes. The lamb and shiitake mushrooms give this stew it’s rich texture. While the black bean paste and five spice powder dominate the majority of the amazing flavor. Try this delicious clay pot lamb stew recipe and let me know what you think in the Chinese food forum found here. Enjoy!
To watch a video for these instructions click here.
12 small dried shiitake mushrooms
¼ piece fresh ginger
1 lb lamb – pre cut for stew
¼ tsp pepper
¼ tsp salt
1 tbsp peanut oil
2 tsp pre chopped garlic
1 tsp crushed red pepper
½ tsp five-spice powder
1 tsp sugar
2 tbsp Chinese black bean paste
1 cup beef stock
2 tsp soy sauce
2 tsp sherry
- Soak the shiitakes in a bowl of warm water for about 45 minutes, or until they expand.
- Using a spoon or knife, remove the skin from the piece of ginger and then dice it into tiny pieces and set them aside.
- If you cannot find pre cut lamb for stew, use either lamb shoulder or leg of lamb and remove as much fat as possible. Then cut it into small pieces about ¾ inch squares and sprinkle the pieces with the salt and pepper.
- Next, in a non stick pan heat the peanut oil on high.
- When the oil is hot add the lamb and cook it until it browns on all sides, about 10 minutes.
- While the lamb browns, check on the mushrooms. If they have expanded, drain out the water and squeeze the mushrooms to get the excess water out. Then place them on a paper towel and pat them dry.
- Once the mushrooms are dry cut off all the stems and discard. Then cut the caps into rough pieces about ¼ inch wide and set them aside.
- Continue cooking the lamb. Once it is brown on all sides, transfer it into a clay pot. Then to the lamb add the chopped garlic, ginger, crushed red pepper, five spice powder, sugar and black bean paste.
- Stir to mix everything together and then turn the heat to low. Once it gets hot let it cook for 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- After it cooks for 3 minutes add the beef stock, soy sauce, sherry, and shiitake mushrooms. Stir to mix everything together thoroughly.
- Then cover it and let it cook for 3 hours on low, checking the water level every half hour. If the water becomes low, add ½ cup of hot water and let it continue to cook.
- After 3 hours it is ready to serve. Makes about 2 servings.