Guest Author - Michelle Matile
July is National Ice Cream Month. Ronald Regan designated this in 1984, along with designating National Ice Cream Day. National Ice Cream Day is the 3rd Sunday of July. It doesn’t have to be National Ice Cream Day, enjoy it any time!
Below are instructions for Ice Cream Sandwiches. The first step is to follow the recipe for homemade Chewy Chocolate Chip cookies. Ice cream sandwiches marry ice cream and cookies together, forming a perfect relationship. Spoon your favorite ice cream between the two cookies and you have a yummy any time dessert. The cookies have chocolate chips but I think we can all agree that there should be more chocolate! Add your favorite chocolate ice cream.
Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
Makes 36 big cookies (18 ice cream sandwiches)
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
3/4 cup butter, melted
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla
2 cups chocolate chips
1/2 gallon container of your favorite ice cream to fill the sandwiches
Optional: sprinkles (jimmies if you are from New England) or mini chocolate chips
1. Preheat the oven to 350, grease a cookie sheet.
2. Combine flour and baking soda in a small bowl.
3. In a separate, larger bowl cream melted butter and sugars with an electric mixer.
4. Beat in vanilla and eggs until creamy.
5. Mix in flour and baking soda.
6. Stir in chips.
7. Spoon onto baking sheet. Each spoonful should be about 2 tablespoons.
8. Bake for 9-11 minutes each.
9. Cool cookies for two minutes on cookie sheet. Then transfer them to a wire rack to completely cool.
10. Prepare the ice cream sandwiches by filling two cookies with ice cream. You can be as generous as you like. There is no right or wrong amount. Please note: It is easier if the ice cream is a bit softer. You may want to leave it out for a few minutes.
Optional: roll the ice cream sandwiches in sprinkles or mini chocolate chips.
11. Wrap each sandwich individually in plastic wrap. Store them in an airtight plastic container or freezer bag until needed (at least 1 hour).
These can last in your freezer for up to a month, but I doubt you will need to worry about that.