Chocolate Tiramisu Recipe
There are a few steps involved when preparing tiramisu. However, it is relatively easy. This delicious dessert is worth every moment spent in the kitchen. A typical tiramisu consists of layers of lady fingers. This recipe replaces lady fingers with homemade angel food cake. You may use lady fingers if you prefer or even store bought angel food cake to cut down on time.
Chocolate Tiramisu Recipe
Angel Food Cake:
1 cup cake flour
1/2 cup confectioner’s sugar
1/2 cup white granulated sugar
9 egg whites, room temperature
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups hot espresso or strong coffee
1 tablespoon sugar
3 egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar
2 (8 oz.) containers mascarpone cheese
3/4 cup chocolate chips
2 cups heavy whipping cream plus 4 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
1 tablespoon vanilla
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Sift the confectioner’s sugar and flour together 3 times. If you do not have cake flour add 2 tablespoons of cornstarch to a measuring cup, then add all purpose flour until 1 cup.
3. Beat the egg whites with the vanilla and cream of tartar until soft peaks form.
4. Add the white granulated sugar to the egg whites and continue beating until stiff peaks form.
5. Fold in the flour and confectioner’s sugar, one third at a time.
6. Pour the cake into an ungreased bundt or tube pan.
7. Bake for 30-35 minutes.
5. Invert the cake on a dish or cooling rack and allow it to cool while still in the pan. When thoroughly cooled, remove from the pan and cut into thin slices then set aside.
6. Combine the hot coffee or espresso and sugar and set aside.
7. Heat the egg yolks and sugar in a medium sized sauce pan over another pan with simmering water. Stir until the mixture is fluffy and doubles in size.
8. Remove the pan and stir in the mascarpone cheese until smooth and set aside.
9. Heat the chocolate chips and 4 tablespoons of cream in a small sauce pan over low heat, stir until melted and smooth.
10. Remove the chocolate from the heat and set aside.
11. Beat the 2 cups cream and sugar in a large mixing bowl until stiff peaks form.
12. Fold the melted chocolate into the whipped cream.
13. Fold the chocolate whipped cream into the mascarpone cheese mixture.
14. To assemble the dessert I used a 2 1/2 quart casserole dish, however, you can use a 9x13 pan.
15. Line the bottom of the pan with half of the angel food cake slices.
16. Brush the cake slices generously with the coffee or espresso.
17. Pour half of the mascarpone cheese over the angel food cake.
18. Layer the remaining cake slices.
19. Brush the layers with the remaining coffee.
20. Pour the remaining mascarpone cheese mixture.
21. Optional: sprinkle with cocoa powder.
Enjoy and sweeten the soul with chocolate!
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2019 by Michelle Matile. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Michelle Matile. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Brandii Lacey for details.