Guest Author - Michelle Matile
Sometimes a small amount of chocolate goes a long way. This includes adding white chocolate chips to a cookie recipe. I usually find a way to incorporate chocolate in most every dessert. I created these cookies initially for pumpkin ice cream sandwiches. I was happy to discover they are wonderful by themselves. They are a great addition to a cup of coffee or tea. These cookies are strong with the spiciness of ginger, cinnamon and cloves. The aroma coming from the oven as these cookies bake will make it difficult to wait.
Chewy Ginger Cookies
Makes about 30
2 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon ginger
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cloves
3/4 cup softened butter
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla
1/4 cup molasses
1 cup white chocolate chips
1/4 cup white sugar plus 1 teaspoon cinnamon to roll cookies in
1. Combine the flour, baking soda, and spices in a bowl. Set aside.
2. Cream together the brown and white sugars and butter with an electric mixer in a large mixing bowl.
3. Beat in the molasses, egg, and vanilla.
4. Gradually beat in the flour mixture.
5. Stir in the chocolate chips.
6. Refrigerate the cookie dough for at least 30 minutes. This is extremely sticky dough and this makes the consistency easier to work with.
7. When ready to bake preheat the oven to 350.
8. Take out dough and roll into 2 inch balls.
9. Roll each ball in the cinnamon sugar mixture.
10. Place on greased cookie sheet, press down slightly on the cookie dough ball.
11. Bake for 10-12 minutes.
12. You may need to refrigerate mixture in between batches.
A great tip for holiday planning is these cookies freeze well. The cookies can be frozen for up to 4 weeks after baking. Allow them an hour to thaw before serving. The other option is to freeze the dough. The first step is to refrigerate the cookie dough for 30 minutes so it is not too sticky to work with. Then roll the dough into two logs, wrap with plastic wrap and keep in a freezer container or bag. When ready to bake cut slices from the log.
Sweeten the soul with chocolate and enjoy!