This Szechuan chicken soup recipe is perfect for the cold winter months and it’s very simple to make. Try this Szechuan chicken soup recipe and let me know what you think in the Chinese food forum found here. Enjoy!
To watch a video for these instructions click here.
3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
3 medium carrots
1 head of broccoli
4 dried chili peppers
3 ½ cups chicken broth
¼ cup sherry
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp jarred pre chopped garlic
½ tbsp sugar
1 tbsp cornstarch
½ tsp garlic salt
1 ½ tbsp cooking sherry
1 ½ tbsp cornstarch
1 tbsp stir fry oil
- Remove all of the fat from the chicken and then cut each breast into ¼ inch thick slices that are about 1 inch wide.
- Place these slices in a bowl and add the marinade in the following order. First add the garlic salt and use your hand to mix it in thoroughly. Then add the sherry and stir. Next add the cornstarch and again use your hand to make sure that it is evenly distributed. Then add the oil and stir again. Let the chicken marinate in the refrigerator for about 2 hours.
- While the chicken marinates, prepare the other ingredients. First peel the carrots and cut off the large ends and discard. Then cut the smaller ends on a diagonal and discard them as well. Continue cutting the carrots on a diagonal into thin slices. Set these slices aside.
- Next, rinse the broccoli under cold running water and dry it with paper towels. Then cut the florets off of the stalk. Break up any large florets into smaller pieces and set them aside.
- Cut the ends off of the chili peppers and then cut each one in half and set them aside.
- In a medium pot that has a lid or Dutch oven, heat the chicken broth on high and let it come a boil.
- Once it starts to come to a boil slowly add in the chicken pieces. Then turn the heat down to medium and let the chicken cook until it turns opaque and is cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- When the chicken is cooked add in the sherry, soy sauce, pre chopped garlic, chili peppers, and sugar. Stir until everything is thoroughly mixed together.
- Then add the broccoli and carrots. Turn the heat to low, cover and let it cook for about 5 minutes.
- While the soup cooks, in a small cup mix the cornstarch with just a little water until it dissolves.
- After the soup cooks for 5 minutes, add the cornstarch mixture and stir thoroughly. Then cover and let it cook for another 5 minutes.
- Once it cooks another 5 minutes, then it is ready to serve. Makes 4 to 5 servings.