Guest Author - danielle anna
The following natural sleep remedies will help you to sleep peacefully and restfully.
* Drink milk before bed to help you sleep. Milk contains chemicals that naturally relax the mind and body.
* Blood sugar fluctuations can interrupt healthy sleep. Eating a light protein and carbohydrate snack before bed will eliminate hunger and keep your blood sugar levels stable. This will help your body to feel content and relaxed for sleep.
* Exercise during the day to relieve stress and tension. This will make you feel relaxed at bedtime.
* Write down things that are on your mind so that you can feel peaceful and let go of worries.
* Eat healthy foods at regular intervals throughout the day to prevent the production of stress hormones and low blood sugar both of which can lead to anxiety and interfere with sleep.
* During the day, drink plenty of water to keep your body hydrated. Dehydration can cause the accumulation of stress hormones, health problems, and sleep disturbance.
* If you are having trouble sleeping, and do not feel well drink a small amount of a caffeine free sports drink containing glucose and electrolytes. This combination will hydrate you, induce calm, and relieve headache pain and sleeplessness.
* Take calcium and magnesium before bed as a natural sleep enhancer. Calcium calms the central nervous system and helps to enhance deep restorative sleep. Magnesium has a calming effect on the brain and nervous system. It also invites healing sleep that restores the mind and body.
* Vitamin E relaxes the body and will help you sleep through the night.
* Evening Primrose Oil reduces inflammation in the body, and enhances relaxation. Evening primrose lets you wake up feeling refreshed, even after sleeping just a few hours.
* Fish oil contains vitamins and minerals that heal the major organs of the body. Occasionally taking this supplement is healthy. Fish oil creates a peaceful feeling, which leads to relaxation and sleep. The nutrients in fish oil will also improve the beauty of your skin, hair and nails.
* A carbohydrate snack such as cereal before bed will promote restful sleep. The combination of carbohydrates, B vitamins, and minerals such as calcium, work to increase the production of Serotonin, a neurotransmitter in the brain that assists restful sleep and overall feelings of well being.
* Take a warm shower or bath as a comforting way to relax your body.
* Use positive talk and affirmations that reinforce healthy attitudes about sleep. Eliminate the I word from your mind to sleep better. Developing a positive mental outlook about sleep will manifest restful sleep into your life.
* Avoid drugs, alcohol and nicotine as they stimulate the body and create a stress response. Chemicals inhibit sleep leaving you feeling exhausted and not well.
* Avoid caffeine in the evening, as it is a stimulant that remains in the body for long periods of time preventing the deep sleep needed for healing.
* Practice a relaxing routine before bed every night.
* Design your bedroom to look and feel relaxing.
* Sleep on a comfortable mattress and pillow.
* Keep work materials away from your sleeping environment. The bedroom should be a place of sleep and relaxation only. Creating a relaxing bedroom will help your mind and body to associate the room with sleep.
* Dim the lights, and shut off electronics like the television or computer in the hourís prior to sleep. This will help you to unwind and relax. The electric energy from these products stimulates the central nervous system and internal body clock, and this can disturb sleep.
* Your sleep will be more restful if you do not have electronics in your bedroom. This is because electronics produce electrical energy even when they are turned off, and this affects the body.
* Breathing clean air will help you to become healthy and sleep restfully. Consider caring for plants in your home, as they can bring many health benefits to you. Plants contain phytochemicals, which are natural chemicals that act as antioxidants. Plants also remove toxic elements in the air, and release hydration and oxygen into the air you breathe. In addition, the use a good air purifier will reduce contaminants in the air. The healthiest and safest air purification systems use HEPA filter technology. It is also very helpful to frequently change the filters on the central heating /air unit in your home. The intake of oxygen and clean air contribute to healthy breathing and immune system functioning, all of which help to improve health, sleep and appearance.
* Remember that sleep begins with relaxation. Practice relaxation often and in time you will have healthy sleep.