Chinese stews often incorporate flavors of star anise, ginger or cinnamon. This delicious recipe uses a combination of fresh ginger, oyster sauce, and a variety of mushrooms to create an amazingly flavorful meal. Try this easy Chinese beef stew recipe and let me know what you think in the Chinese food forum found here. Enjoy!
To watch a video for these instructions click here
8 to 12 dried shiitake mushrooms
1.5 lbs lean beef
4oz baby portabella mushrooms
4oz white button mushrooms
¼ inch piece fresh ginger
1 tbsp cornstarch
1 tbsp stir fry oil
3 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tbsp sherry
1 cup beef broth
- Soak the dried shiitake mushrooms in a bowl of warm water for about 30 to 45 minutes or until they reconstitute.
- While the mushrooms soak, prepare the other ingredients. Remove all of the fat from the beef and then cut it into large cubes and set them aside.
- In a colander rinse both the portabellas and the white button mushrooms under cold running water. Use your hands to wipe off any excess dirt. Then dry them thoroughly with paper towels.
- Once the mushrooms are dry, cut off all of the stems and cut the caps into large slices about ¼ inch to ½ inch in width. Then set these slices aside.
- Peel the ginger using a knife or spoon and then cut it into tiny pieces and set them aside.
- Check to see if the shiitakes have reconstituted. Once they’ve expanded, remove them from the water and squeeze out as much of the excess water as possible. Then dry them with paper towels.
- Once dry, cut all of the stems off the shiitakes. Then cut the caps into large slices and set them aside.
- In a small cup mix the cornstarch with just a little water until it dissolves and set it aside.
- To a clay pot add the stir fry oil and heat it on medium.
- Once the oil is hot, add the beef and let it cook for about 5 minutes on each side, or until it just lightly browns. If you have an unglazed clay pot, brown the meat in a separate pan first and then add it to the clay pot.
- When the meat lightly browns add the oyster sauce and stir it in thoroughly.
- Then add the sherry and beef broth and stir.
- Next add the mushrooms and the ginger and mix them in. Then cover it, turn the heat down to low, and let it cook for 2 ½ hours.
- After 2 ½ hours, remove the lid and add in the cornstarch. Stir until it becomes thick.
- Once the sauce thickens, it is ready to serve. Makes 3 to 4 servings.