Red cooked pork is a delicious Chinese dish where pork is slowly braised for several hours in a mixture of soy sauce, wine, sugar and spices. Though this dish is traditionally made with either pork belly or pork shoulder, this recipe uses lean pork for a healthier version of this delicious dish. Cornstarch is also added at the end to slightly thicken the sauce. Though not usually found in red cooking, this addition creates a richer, more stew – like consistency.
In this recipe the pork is slow cooked in a crock pot for the ease of letting it cook during the day. If you do not have a crock pot you can also use a Dutch oven and let it simmer either on the stove or in the oven. The cooking time will be about 4 hours instead of the 8 hours in the crock pot. Try this amazingly easy red cooked pork recipe and let me know what you think in the Chinese food forum found here. Enjoy!
1.5 lbs lean pork (about 4 medium pork chops)
¼ inch piece fresh ginger
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp thick soy
2 tbsp sugar
1 ½ cups chicken broth
1 tbsp jarred pre chopped garlic
1 tsp fennel seeds
3 star anise
4 tsp cornstarch
- Remove all of the fat from the pork. Then cut the pork into 1 inch to 1½ inch cubes and place these cubes in a slow cooker.
- Using a knife or a spoon, remove the skin from the ginger. Then cut it into tiny pieces and set it aside.
- Next, to the pork add the two different soy sauces. The thick soy sauce can usually be found in most Asian grocery stores. For this recipe I use the Koon Chun brand thick soy.
- Then add the sherry. The sherry in this recipe is a regular cooking sherry which can be found in most local grocery stores near the vinegar section.
- Add the sugar, chicken broth, pre chopped garlic, fennel seeds, star anise and the ginger. Here I use an organic chicken broth. Any chicken broth can be used, but keep in mind that many broths have added msg.
- Next, stir to mix everything together and then cover and let it cook on low for 8 hours.
- After 8 hours, in a small cup mix the cornstarch with a little water just until it dissolves.
- Remove the lid and stir in the cornstarch mixture.
- Then turn the heat to high, cover it again and let it cook for about 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes the sauce will be slightly thick and then it is ready to serve. This is best served over white steamed rice. Makes about 3 servings.