Chocolate Ice Cream Sandwiches Recipe
These ice cream sandwiches are a cool, refreshing treat to enjoy this summer. Creamy, homemade chocolate ice cream is sandwiched between two soft and chewy oatmeal cookies.
Chocolate Ice Cream Sandwiches
Chewy Oatmeal Cookie Recipe
Makes about 30 cookies
1 cup butter, softened
1 tablespoon vanilla
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 1/2 cups quick cooking oats
3/4 cup milk chocolate chips
1. Combine the flour, baking soda, and cinnamon in a bowl and set aside.
2. Combine the butter, eggs, vanilla, and sugars in a large mixing bowl.
3. Beat with a hand mixer until combined.
4. Slowly add the flour, beating after each addition until fully incorporated.
5. Stir in the oats and the chocolate chips.
6. Refrigerate the cookie dough for one hour.
7. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
8. Drop 2 tablespoon sized balls of dough on a greased cookie sheet.
9. Flatten slightly.
10. Bake for 10-12 minutes.
Chocolate Ice Cream Recipe
1 cup milk
1/2 cup sugar
3 tablespoons baking cocoa
2 egg yolks
1/3 cup chocolate chips or chopped chocolate
2 cups heavy cream
1 tablespoon vanilla
1. In a medium sized sauce pan heat the milk, cocoa, and sugar to a simmer and then set aside and allow it to cool for 5 minutes.
2. In a large mixing bowl whisk the 2 egg yolks.
3. Add the heated milk to the egg yolks a little at a time whisking after each addition. It is important to add the chocolate slowly to avoid scrambling the eggs.
4. Once the milk is completely added return the mixture to the sauce pan and heat over low heat.
5. Continue stirring while heating until it starts to thicken.
6. Remove from the heat and add the chocolate chips.
7. Stir until melted and smooth.
8. Cool in the refrigerator for one hour.
9. Add the cream and the vanilla.
10. Add to your ice cream maker and follow the instructions.
Once the ice cream is prepared I froze it for a few hours to firm up before assembling the ice cream sandwiches. Add a generous scoop of ice cream between two cookies and continue until have the desired amount of ice cream sandwiches. Please note I did not make large cookies and these sandwiches are not very big. You can adjust the size of the cookies if you are looking for bigger sandwiches.
Enjoy and sweeten the soul with chocolate!
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2018 by Michelle Matile. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Michelle Matile. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Brandii Lacey for details.