Guest Author - Lori Collvins
If you enjoy basketball and movies about basketball, just look below for a list and the description of some really good basketball movies that are available. Grab one of these movies for the next time you can't make it to gym or just want to have an evening of fun with friends and family.
1. Above The Rim, Starring (Duane Martin) Tommy "Shep" Sheppard.. Martin, a former high school basketball star is haunted by the accidental death of his best friend and struggles with choosing between the streets and the glory of the court.
2. Air Bud, stars Buddy, a golden retriever who runs away from his abusive owner. Buddy is found by Josh Framm, who has a passion for basketball, and it changes both their futures when Josh discovers Buddy can play basketball.
3. Bad As I Wanna Be, a biographical drama about Dennis Rodman as a Dallas teenager, who struggles with racism and goes on the NBA and eventually winds up with the Chicago Bulls.
4. Blue Chips Starring Nick Nolte and Shaquille O'Neal. Nolte portrays a once successful college basketball coach who desperately wants to have a competitive team. His less-than-talented team appears hopeless and so he "bend the rules" with the hopes of launching his roster back to the top of NCAA athletics.
5. Hoop Dreams, This three-hour documentary follows the lives of two inner-city African American teenage basketball hopefuls through high school dreams of the NBA, superstardom, and an escape from the ghetto.
6. Hoosiers, Starring Gene Hackman and Dennis Hopper. The story of the Hickory Huskers, an “nobody” basketball team from a small Indiana high school that makes it all the way to the state championship tournament.
7. Like Mike, Starring Little Bow Wow and Morris Chestnut. A 14-year-old orphan, Calvin Cambridge, slips on a pair of hand-me-down Nikes that turn out to be magical and suddenly Calvin becomes the new star of the L.A. Knights, an instant NBA celebrity and takes his team to the playoffs.
8. Love and Basketball: Sanaa Lathan and Omar Epps star in this movie where two young students strive to reach their hopes and dreams while struggling with coming of age and all the heartaches that go with it. A very determined, hot-headed tomboy gives her all to basketball and loses her heart to her childhood friend and neighbor who has pro dreams of his own. They love, lose and find their dreams and what their hearts really want.
9. One on One Starring Robby Benson and Annette O'Toole. A great movie about coming of age and the passion of basketball. A high school basketball player goes to college and discovers what the real world of high-stakes basketball is all about.
10. White Men Can't Jump: Starring Woody Harrelson, Wesley Snipes and Rosie Perez. A good basketball shooter uses the fact that he is white to fool black players into thinking he can be stomped easily. He teams up with a con artist (Snipes), where they play homeboys for a few bucks bringing trouble at home.
Some other movies that you might want to look at that are also good movies are, BASEketball, Celtic Pride, Eddie, Finding Forrester, Forget Paris, Glory Road, Go, Man, Go, Harvard Man, He Got Game, Heaven Is A Playground, Juwanna Mann, Michael Jordan To The Max, O, Passing Glory, Rebound: The Legend Of Earl “The Goat” Manigualt, Slam Dunk Ernest, Soul In The Hole, Space Jam, Sunset Park, That Championship Season, The Air Up There, The Basket, The Basketball Diaries, The Fish that Saved Pittsburgh, The Pistol, and The Sixth Man.
See you on the court!