This recipe was loosely adapted from an excellent cookbook, The Family Table Slow Cooker: Easy, healthy and delicious recipes for every day by Dominic DeVito. If you want a good slow cooker cookbook with mouthwatering new recipes, this is a good choice.
2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast halves
1 tablespoon Asian sesame oil
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh ginger
3 green onions, chopped
3 cloves garlic, finely minced
2 tablespoons curry powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
1 tablespoon honey
1 14 oz. can coconut milk
1-3 fresh jalapeno peppers, cored, seeded, and sliced
1 red bell pepper
1 cup bok choy, or cabbage sliced
2 plum tomatoes, cored, seeded, and cut into sixths
2 tablespoons cornstarch, dissolved in 2 tablespoons water
- Clean the chicken breasts, removing any veins, gristle, fat, etc.
- Cut them into 1 - 1 1/2" chunks; place them in the bottom of a 3-5 quart slow cooker.
- Mix the sesame oil, ginger, onions, and garlic in a microwave-safe container; microwave 2 minutes.
- Stir in the curry powder, cumin, rice vinegar, and honey.
- Spread the mixture over the chicken chunks.
- Pour the coconut milk over all and sprinkle with the jalapeno pepper slices.
- Cover, set the slow cooker to low, and let cook 3-4 hours or until the chicken is tender.
- Stir in the red bell pepper, bok choy, and tomatoes; add the cornstarch mixture.
- Cover the slow cooker, turn the heat to high, and let cook an additional 30 minutes to one hour or until thickened.
- Stir well and serve over rice.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 330 Calories from Fat 178
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 54% Protein 35% Carb. 11%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 20 g
Saturated Fat 12 g
Cholesterol 76 mg
Sodium 81 mg
Total Carbohydrate 9 g
Dietary Fiber 2 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 29 g
Vitamin A 32% Vitamin C 65% Calcium 0% Iron 20%