Create Digital Planner Rings Affinity Designer
This is a great tutorial for those learning how to use Affinity Designer. You will learn the following.
- Set the document options for an iPad or other mobile device project.
- Draw, edit and transform vector curves and shapes.
- Organize your design assets in the Layers panel.
Your digital planner will need two types of binder rings. When the planner is closed, for example the cover graphic, you will need binder rings with only one hole. If your planner has a two-page spread, you will want to use binder rings with two holes. Let’s create the two hole ring.
- Open Affinity Designer
- Click the New Document button at the bottom of the Welcome screen, to start a new document with the following settings for mobile devices (see screenshot).
- Rename the default Artboard to Planner Ring.
- In the Toolbar, click the three Snapping icons (see screenshot).
- Use the Rounded Rectangle tool to draw a rectangle to fill most of the Canvas. Leave just enough space for the holes (see screenshot).
- In the Layers panel, rename this layer to Ring.
- With the Move tool, center the shape inside the Canvas. Watch for the green and red guidelines to appear (see screenshot).
- From the Context Toolbar, set the Corner Radius to 50% (see screenshot).
- Right-click on the shape with the Node tool and choose Convert to Curves (see screenshot).
- With the Node tool, click on the center point on the top and bottom paths. You will have two new blue Nodes (see screenshot).
- With the Shift key selected, click both of these center Nodes with the Node tool. Drag the Nodes upward (see screenshot).
- Select the top center Node and click the Smooth icon in the Context Toolbar. You will see the control handles attached to that Node. Draw both handles outward horizontally to create a smooth curve on the top path. Repeat this on the bottom path (see screenshot).
Page Preset: Custom
Document Units: Pixels
Create Artboard - Checked
Color Format: RGB/8
Color Profile: sRGB IEC61966-2.1
Transparent Background - Checked
Page Width: 264 pixels
Page Height: 80 pixels
Portrait - Unchecked
Actual Size Zoom: iPad (Retina)
Width: 240 pixels
Height: 48 pixels
Let’s make the ring’s edges more rounded.
Now we will add two Nodes to the path and give the ring a slight upward curve.
You will see the surrounding box turn to Nodes on the sides of the shape. But we need some nodes in the center.
Design a Digital Planner in Affinity Studio - Tutorial Series Index
Screenshots used by permission of Serif (Europe) Ltd. This article is not endorsed by Serif Ltd.
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2019 by Diane Cipollo. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Diane Cipollo. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Diane Cipollo for details.