Italian Vegetable Stock Recipe
This stock is a great alternative to chicken or beef stock. Make use of the wilted vegetables in your refrigerator.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 large onions, chopped in large pieces
- 2 large leeks
- 3 stalks of celery, with leaves, chopped
- 5 carrots, washed but unpeeled, chopped
- 1 whole bulb of garlic
- 1 pound spinach or kale leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 pound white mushrooms (this is perfect for that bag of dried up mushrooms in your refrigerator)
- 10 black peppercorns
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs of rosemary
- 1 Tbs fresh thyme
- 1 cup parsley, chopped
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 quarts water
- Cut the leeks in half, lengthwise, pull apart and clean thoroughly to remove the mud.
- In a large pot heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion and leeks and sauté until the onions just begin to turn gold.
- Break up the whole bulb of garlic into individual cloves, but don't chop.
- Add the garlic to the onions and leeks. Stir and cook for one minute.
- Place the celery and carrots in the pot. Stir and cook for one minute.
- Add the spinach or kale leaves, mushrooms, spices and water. The vegetables should be covered by water, if not add more water. Stir and cover.
- Raise the heat to high and bring the water to a boil.
- Immediately lower the heat and simmer the vegetables for one hour.
- Have ready a strainer and another large pot. You can use a colander lined with cheese cloth.
- Pour the stock into the strainer.
- After the stock has cooled you can pour into freezable containers. It will be ready whenever you need it.
Note: You can use the cooked vegetables for a soup. Purée them to make a creamy textured soup.
This recipe may vary depending upon what you have in your refrigerator. Do you have 3 carrots and 6 stalks of celery? Adjust to your needs.
Bella Italian Food Recommends
Cuisinart CSB-33BC Quick Prep Hand Blender, Brushed Chrome
Much smaller than your traditional blender, this hand held stick blender is compact and easy to store in a small kitchen. Additionally, it saves you the time and effort of cleaning up a blender pitcher as the Quick Prep lets you blend right in your soup pot, mixing bowl, or glass. The powerful motor has two speeds for the best blending results: low is perfect for milk shakes, pancake batter, dips, and dressings, while high works better for baby food, soups, and whipped cream. An ergonomically designed handle provides a comfortable hold for long blending jobs and the brushed chrome finish gives the blender a sleek look for a contemporary kitchen. After use, the blade end easily rinses and wipes clean and the lengthy 5-foot cord wraps around the unit for storage. The Quick Prep comes with a 2-cup plastic mixing container and a recipe booklet and is covered by a limited 18-month warranty.
You Should Also Read:
Vegetarian Recipes Cont.
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2021 by Paula Laurita. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Paula Laurita. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Cinzia Aversa for details.