Dodecahedron Calendar SVG Cut Design
My husband and I are planning a big move to another apartment and I was browsing the Ikea gallery the other day. I really liked one of their rooms. Just about everything is in shades of grey, including the Kvarnvik box series. These boxes come in several shapes and are covered with interlaced paper string that looks just like the grey burlap fabric from Canvas Corps.
I decided to make a calendar, with the base covered in the grey burlap and a dodecahedron calendar sitting on the base. In this tutorial, we will draw the template for the dodecahedron calendar in IllustratorR.
Dodecahedrons have twelve sides, one for each month, and each side is a pentagon shape. So let's start with the pentagon. As I usually do, I drew the complete dodecahedron template in pieces. Once I got that perfected, I used it as a guide to draw a clean cut line that will become the SVG cut file. Our calendar will be about 4 inches in size.
- To create the first pentagon, use the Polygon tool and set the Radius to 1.65 inch and Sides to 5.
- Copy/paste the polygon and flip is vertically. This will become our center polygon.
- The polygon is still in your Clipboard. So, paste another copy. Move the edge of that polygon to an edge of our center polygon, so that the point of the polygon is pointing outward. Repeat this for the other three sides of our center polygon.
- Our next step is to draw tabs at the right and left sides of each of the outer polygons. We want to add one at the bottom left and one at the top right sides.
That is one half of our calendar. Let's make the other half.
- Select everything and copy. Paste a copy into a new layer.
- While still selected, click Object - Transform - Reflect - Horizontal. Even though the command says Horizontal, this will flip the image vertically. To assemble the calendar, the two parts will be attached together.
- In the final image, I've decided where each month's calendar should be placed. I wanted the calendar to sit flat with the pointed edge of the polygon pointing downward. Notice the direction of the text on each polygon.
Ikea Kvarnvik Box Series
Copyright 2018 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All rights reserved. Adobe product screen shot(s) reprinted with permission from Adobe Systems Incorporated. Adobe, Photoshop, Photoshop Album, Photoshop Elements, Illustrator, InDesign, GoLive, Acrobat, Cue, Premiere Pro, Premiere Elements, Bridge, After Effects, InCopy, Dreamweaver, Flash, ActionScript, Fireworks, Contribute, Captivate, Flash Catalyst and Flash Paper is/are either [a] registered trademark[s] or a trademark[s] of Adobe Systems Incorporated in the United States and/or other countries.
Silhouette, Silhouette Studio, Silhouette Connect, PixScan, Silhouette CAMEOR and Silhouette Portrait are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Silhouette America, Inc. Product screen shot(s) reprinted with permission from Silhouette America, Inc.
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2019 by Diane Cipollo. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Diane Cipollo. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Diane Cipollo for details.