Camp questions for families with autistic children
1. Teacher to child ratio – assistants/volunteers, background
2. Medications – who dispenses, where are they kept
3. Communication devices – do they have or do you bring
4. Cost and reimbursement avenues – insurance
5. Hours – how many breaks, rest periods
6. Goals – how are they implemented, progress reports
7. Field trips – how do they get there, safety issues
8. Emergency information – releasing of child
9. Therapists – do they have any on staff
10. Clothing – bring bathing suits and extra set of clothes
11. Toileting – what specifics do they need to know
12. Eating – any allergy problems
13. Sunscreen – my sons shoulders were red - bring your own
14. Behavior issues - how handled/charts/rewards/timeouts
15. Toys/books – can you bring them from home
Hopefully these ideas and tips I have incorporated from choosing a camp suitable for my autistic children will come in handy and benefit those who seek a camp for their special child as well.
It is imperative that you start the process searching for a camp before spring break. You might be placed on a waiting list at first due to the high demand of camps for children on the autism spectrum and with developmental disabilities.
Originally published on Epinions
Summer CAMP programs for 2008
Childrens Association for Maximum Potential C.A.M.P. (Near San Antonio, TX)
Toys to consider for Christmas
Educational Autism Tips for Families 71 page resourceful ebook for families entering the school system with a recent autism diagnosis. Find out what issues take place over the course of a school day and meet these challenges head on.
This site needs an editor - click to learn more!
You Should Also Read:
Choosing a Camp for a child with Autism
Children with Autism Making Progress
Behavior Support Planning
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2021 by Bonnie Sayers. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Bonnie Sayers. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact BellaOnline Administration for details.