The Affinity Designer Brushes Panel
Reset Brushes PanelWhen you add and remove brushes as you work on a project, the Brushes panel gets a little messy. But it's easy to reset the panel back to the default settings.
- Open Affinity Designer.
- If the Brushes panel is not in the workspace, click View - Studio - Brushes from the Menubar.
- From the Menubar, click Affinity Designer - Preferences.
- To open the pop-up menu, click the Grid icon on the top left. Click the Miscellaneous option (see screenshot).
- On the Miscellaneous screen, click the Reset Brushes button (see screenshot).
- From the Brushes panel, open the Category menu (see screenshot). You will see a list of the default categories. Each category contains several pre-designed brushes.
We need to open the Preferences panel to reset the Brushes back to the defaults.
You will get a pop-up message when the reset is complete. Close the message and Preferences windows.
Import a New Brush SetThere are many great designer brushes for free and purchase on the web. Check out Creative Market to get an idea of what's out there. After you purchase a brush set, you will need to unzip the download file and import the .afbrushes file. This .afbrushes file contains your new brushes.
- From the top right corner of the Brushes panel (see screenshot), click the Panel Preferences icon.
- From the menu, click Import Brushes.
- When the window opens, locate and select your new .afbrushes file and click Open.
- When you get the pop-up message indicating the import is complete, close the window.
Export a Brush SetPeople like to share and sell brushes. So here's how to export a brush set (category) as an .afbrushes file.
- From the Category menu, select the brush category that you wish to export.
- From the Panel Preferences menu, click Export Brushes (see screenshot).
- When the window opens, go to your export location and click Save.
Delete a Brush SetThere will be times when you will want to remove a brush set (category) permanently. That's easy to do.
- From the Category menu, select the brush category that you wish to remove.
- From the Panel Preferences menu, click Delete Category (see screenshot).
- When you get the alert message asking you to comfirm, click Delete (see screenshot).
Affinity Designer Brushes at Creative Market
Screenshots used by permission of Serif (Europe) Ltd. This article is not endorsed by Serif Ltd.
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2022 by Diane Cipollo. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Diane Cipollo. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Diane Cipollo for details.