Ranch Style Homes
There are certain characteristics that are a part of a ranch style home. These can vary by location and neighborhoods.
* They are single story homes but can be a raised ranch style.
* They have simple floor plans usually with wide open spaces.
* Rectangular, U-shaped or L shaped.
* Interior may have wood paneling and exposed beams.
* They are long in length with a low roof line, long overhanging eaves and many times are cross gabled.
* Most will have an attached garage.
* Almost all have sliding glass doors, or maybe several, that exit to the patio.
* Some have vaulted ceilings.
* They typically will have large windows and sometimes a large picture window in the living room.
* Stucco, brick or wood exteriors with window shutters are common.
* Most are designed with eat in kitchens.
The ranch style home was built for easy living and movement. Instead of a grand entryway, they have a foyer. Each room flowed into the other. The eat in kitchens were designed with modern built inï¿½s such as wall oven, stove and refrigerator. Many have glass doors that lead to an enclosed patio. Some are actually raised ranch homes. They sit on a half or a fully exposed foundation. These allow for a home owner to have a finished basement.
Today, ranch style homes are again being built, mostly by tract builders, with the average living space being well over 2000 square feet. An older ranch home sells well in todayï¿½s market because they are usually located in a developed neighborhood where the trees and greenery have finally grown back. This makes their appearance very desirable.
When I think of the ranch style home, I think of the TV shows, The Brady Bunch, I Dream of Jeannie and Bewitched. Those shows all had the typical ranch style home. In fact, the first home I bought in Florida was a ranch style home that was built in 1967. It had all of the typical features; rectangular single story, low roof, sliding glass doors, shutters, eat in kitchen. Actually it was quite a nice, comfortable home.
This site needs an editor - click to learn more!
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2021 by Rose Mary. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Rose Mary. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact BellaOnline Administration for details.