Sailing on the Mary Day - Wednesday to Saturday

Sailing on the Mary Day - Wednesday to Saturday

Last night we went ashore and had lobster bake in a pretty little cove. There was tons of food - corn on the cob, hot dogs, hamburgers, fruit, chips, cheese, and of course, lobster! We also had S'mores for dessert.

My husband prowled the shore in his brand new knee-high black rubber boots. He purchased them in case of a storm on the boat, but never needed them, weather-wise. So he decided to wear them and with his Gilligan hat, I told him he looked like the Gordan's Fisherman (C).

To see my husband in his black boots, and other photos from this trip, see Photos

Today, after breakfast, we went ashore to explore a section of Acadia National Park. How beautiful! I only wish we could have stayed longer.


After another of Mary's hearty and delicious breakfasts, we went ashore to visit a tiny island village. Our homework, Captain Barry said, was to find out how many year-round residents lived there. As we left the dock and started down towards the local store, I saw four people gathered around a truck. I walked over and asked them how many residents lived there, year-round. About 50, one woman said. Another added, "And that's 45 too many!"

I enjoyed that little town. There was a church, the store, and since it was an island, there were cars and trucks of all ages; from old to really old.

Back on the Mary Day, the King children spread out their wares. They sell cards decorated with their own art, Maple Syrup, honey, beeswax hand salve, jewelry and more. They keep bees, tap their trees and make items to sell to raise money to fund their skiing over the winter.


Time has just flown by. There were some beautiful houses on the shore around the bay where we anchored last night. Although there were a few clouds, you could still see a million stars.

We had planned to spend at least one night sleeping on the deck, but never actually did it. We did spend lots of time on deck after dark, laying on our backs and looking up at the stars. I highly recommend it.

We had a nice breakfast, and then a briefing from Barry. We were scheduled to be in the Camden Harbor by 1 pm for Windjammer Weekend.

When we arrived, we were pushed in by a yawl boat. Then Captain Barry turned the Mary Day in, and backed in! Keep in mind that there were LOTS of boats already docked there. that's some fancy maneuvering!

After we docked, many of us, including my husband and I, went into town. Then we walked up on the hill overlooking the harbor and sat on the grass. It was nice and cool there, and we had a beautiful view of the ships.


Our last day! That morning, as she called us to eat, Peggy said, "Enjoy your last breakfast aboard the Mary Day.

Two of the passengers, Annie and Katie, both exclaimed, "Oh!" and made sad faces.

Annie said, "We don't wanna go!"

Another passenger, Gui, said in his French accent, "It's too late for a mutiny. We aren't out at sea."

And Annie said,"Just watch us!"

To read about the first part of this trip, see Sailing on the Mary Day - Sunday through Tuesday.

The Mary Day is one of 12 windjammers of the Maine Windjammer Association. For more information or to book a trip on the Mary Day, call 800.992.2218 or see their website.

For more information about a windjammer vacation, visit the Maine Windjammer Association.

You Should Also Read:
Sailing on the Mary Day - Sunday through Tuesday
Windjammer Weekend - Camden, Maine
The Katahdin Inn - York Beach, Maine

Related Articles
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Previous Features
Site Map

Content copyright © 2021 by Brenda Potter Reynolds. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Brenda Potter Reynolds. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Michelle da Silva Richmond for details.