2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground allspice
Mix 2 cups of the flour with the baking soda and baking powder. Then mix the remaining 1 1/2 cups flour with the spices.
In a one-quart, wide-mouth canning jar. Layer the ingredients starting with the flour baking powder mixture then the brown sugar and finally the flour and spice mixture. Use the bottom of a small clean juice glass and press each layer firmly in place.
Store in a cool dry place away from a heat source so condensation and clumping does not occur.
If you are giving this as a gift, write the following instructions on a card and attach to the jar:
- Empty contents of jar into a large mixing bowl. Blend together well.
- Add 1/2 cup softened butter or margarine, 3/4 cup molasses and 1 slightly beaten egg. Mix until completely blended. Dough will be very stiff so you may need to use your hands. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Roll dough to 1/4 inch thick on a lightly floured surface. Cut into shapes with a cookie cutter. Place cookies on a lightly greased cookie sheet about 2 inches apart.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 10 to 12 minutes. Decorate as desired.
You Should Also Read:
Cookies & Brownies in a Jar
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2018 by Susan . All rights reserved.
This content was written by Susan . If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Allyson Elizabeth D´Angelo for details.