July 10 2019 Tatting Newsletter
1. Thread needle and prepare to wrap the ring/chain. For practice wrap 4 ds.
2. Next wrap an extra long, really wide picot.
3. Prepare to wrap the next double stitch. Form the loop for the first half stitch but do not place it on the needle yet.
4. Pull this loop up through the wide picot.
5. Next slip the loop over the point of the needle. Remove some slack but not all.
6. Form the loop for the second half stitch and slip it onto the needle.
7. Remove the slack. Check to be certain you have the front side of the ds in the proper position.
[Note: It is easy to mix up the first and second half stitch when wrapping this wide picot.]
8. Continue to wrap the ds, first bringing the first half stitch loop up through the wide picot until you have reached the width desired.
Then return to the normal wrapping of the ring/chain and remove from the needle.
This is a great decorative picot. For teachers, I recommend that the student be given a photo or an example of the wide picot in use but not the directions. It is a great exercise in figuring out the construction of tatting.
Dan's model for the wide picot. Dan taught me to do this technique. Thanks, Dan.
Here's the latest article from the Tatting site at BellaOnline.com.
Faggoting & Tatting on Collar Insertion Step This collar by Norma Benporath will require planning and concentration. It is a vintage public domain pattern from the Australasian (Melbourne, Vic. : 1864 - 1946), Saturday 16 February 1935, page 14. Designed for "The Australasian" by Norma Benporath NEEDLECRAFT AN EXQUISITE COLLAR IN HAND-MADE LACE
Please visit tatting.bellaonline.com for even more great content about Tatting. To participate in free, fun online discussions, this site has a community forum all about Tatting located here -
I hope to hear from you sometime soon, either in the forum or in response to this email message. I thrive on your feedback! Have fun passing this message along to family and friends, because we all love free knowledge!
Georgia Seitz, Tatting Editor http://tatting.bellaonline.com
One of the hundreds of sites at BellaOnline.com
Unsubscribe from the Tatting Newsletter
Online Newsletter Archive for Tatting Site
Master List of BellaOnline Newsletters