The idea for this butterbean recipe came because of a family favorite One-Pan Meatloaf Dinner, where meatloaf, potatoes, and vegetables cook together in an electric frying pan – the lima beans are sprinkled over the top, and many of them fall down in the butter and become crispy; over the years there have been a few arguments over who gets those crispy lima beans.
If you’re looking to expand your vegetable repertoire, this is a great one to add; you’ll be surprised how delicious these beans can be, no matter what you call them, but if there’s a picky eater in the house, calling them butterbeans may throw them off enough to get them to at least have a taste!
1/2 pound bacon, chopped
1 pound frozen butter beans, (also known as Fordhook lima beans) or substitute baby limas
1/2 cup chopped onion
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Cook the bacon in a large skillet until crisp.
- Remove the bacon from the pan onto paper towels to drain.
- Meanwhile, place the lima beans with 1/2 cup water in a microwaveable container; cover and microwave for 8-10 minutes or until the beans are tender.
- Transfer to a colander to drain well.
- Add the onion to the bacon drippings in the skillet; stir over medium-low heat for one minute.
- Add the lima beans, stir to coat with the drippings, and let cook for 15-20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes, until the beans are crispy.
- Add salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
- Stir in the bacon and serve.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 158 Calories from Fat 61
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 39% Protein 22% Carb. 39%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 7 g
Saturated Fat 2 g
Cholesterol 11 mg
Sodium 252 mg
Total Carbohydrate 15 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 9 g
Vitamin A 3% Vitamin C 25% Calcium 0% Iron 7%