2 Coffee Cakes or about 24 Servings
1 cup water
1/3 cup dry milk
5 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup sugar
3 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon yeast
1/4 cup melted butter
2 1/2 cups Cranberry Orange Filling (1/2 batch)
1 beaten egg
1 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons butter
2 to 4 tablespoons milk
yellow sanding sugar
- Dough:Place the ingredients in the order given into the pan of the automatic bread machine.
- Set the machine to the dough setting.
- Check the dough after about 10 minutes to make sure there is enough liquid or flour to make a soft dough; you may have to scrape the sides down.
- When the dough is finished, transfer the dough to a lightly floured pastry cloth.
- Cut the dough in half.
- Roll one half of the dough to a rectangle approximately 12 x 18 inches.
- Brush with butter; spread with half of the cranberry orange filling.
- Starting with the wide end, roll up tightly; press the seam together tightly.
- Cut the dough into 24 pieces.
- Place one piece in the center of a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Arrange half of the remaining pieces around the piece in the center.
- Arrange the remaining pieces in a second layer in between the bottom pieces to resemble the petals of a poinsettia.
- Pinch the ends to make the petals slightly pointed.
- Brush liberally with the beaten egg.
- Repeat with the other half of dough.
- Cover loosely with a towel; let rise until doubled in bulk.
- Heat the oven to 350°.
- When hot, place the coffee cakes in the oven and bake 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let cool.
- Glaze: Mix the powdered sugar, butter, and enough milk to make a glaze consistency.
- Drizzle over the coffee cakes.
- Sprinkle yellow sugar in the center of each.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 202 Calories from Fat 56
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 28% Protein 7% Carb. 66%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 6 g
Saturated Fat 4 g
Cholesterol 41 mg
Sodium 169 mg
Total Carbohydrate 33 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 12 g
Protein 3 g
Vitamin A 6% Vitamin C 1% Calcium 0% Iron 2%