1 whole orange
3 medium Granny Smith Apples, cored and pared
1 3/4 cups sugar
1 cup dates
1/3 cup melted butter
2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup water
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup custard powder
2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 cup milk
4 cups milk
3/4 cup sugar
3 cups sweetened whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Spray two 12-cup cupcake pans liberally with non-stick spray.
- Cut the orange into quarters, then each quarter in half; place in the food processor with the apple pieces.
- Add the sugar and process until the fruit is finely ground, scraping the bowl occasionally.
- Transfer the mixture to a mixing bowl and add the dates, butter, eggs, flour, salt, and baking soda; mix well.
- Scoop 1/4 cup portions of batter into each cup.
- Bake 15-18 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Invert onto a cooling rack.
- Meanwhile, prepare the topping: Whisk the brown sugar and flour together; add the butter and water.
- Microwave until boiling, whisking after 2 minutes; stir in the vanilla.
- Arrange the cakes close together on a jelly-roll pan with 1" sides.
- Pour the boiling sauce evenly over the cakes.
- Custard: Mix the custard powder, 2 tablespoons sugar, and 1/4 cup milk until smooth.
- Heat the 4 cups milk with the 3/4 cup sugar; stir in the custard powder mixture.
- Place in the microwave and cook on high power 3 minutes; whisk and microwave until boiling.
- To serve: Pour hot custard into small bowls. Top with a cake and 2 tablespoons sweetened whipped cream.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 294 Calories from Fat 83
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 28% Protein 5% Carb. 67%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 9 g
Saturated Fat 5 g
Cholesterol 45 mg
Sodium 168 mg
Total Carbohydrate 49 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 22 g
Protein 4 g
Vitamin A 8% Vitamin C 8% Calcium 0% Iron 3%