The following Sticky Fruity Pudding is reminiscent of the moist and delicious steamed puddings that are served in English pubs. Like the English versions, these puddings are soaked in a buttery caramel sauce while warm, then surrounded by custard and topped with whipped cream. Unlike the English versions, these puddings are baked instead of steamed (which is much easier and saves time); they can be made ahead and frozen for several months, but they stay very moist for up to a week in an airtight container.
1 whole orange
3 medium Granny Smith Apples, cored and pared
1 3/4 cups sugar
1 cup dates
1/3 cup melted butter
2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup water
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup custard powder
2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 cup milk
4 cups milk
3/4 cup sugar
3 cups sweetened whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Spray two 12-cup cupcake pans liberally with non-stick spray.
- Cut the orange into quarters, then each quarter in half; place in the food processor with the apple pieces.
- Add the sugar and process until the fruit is finely ground, scraping the bowl occasionally.
- Transfer the mixture to a mixing bowl and add the dates, butter, eggs, flour, salt, and baking soda; mix well.
- Scoop 1/4 cup portions of batter into each cup.
- Bake 15-18 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Invert onto a cooling rack.
- Meanwhile, prepare the topping: Whisk the brown sugar and flour together; add the butter and water.
- Microwave until boiling, whisking after 2 minutes; stir in the vanilla.
- Arrange the cakes close together on a jelly-roll pan with 1" sides.
- Pour the boiling sauce evenly over the cakes.
- Custard: Mix the custard powder, 2 tablespoons sugar, and 1/4 cup milk until smooth.
- Heat the 4 cups milk with the 3/4 cup sugar; stir in the custard powder mixture.
- Place in the microwave and cook on high power 3 minutes; whisk and microwave until boiling.
- To serve: Pour hot custard into small bowls. Top with a cake and 2 tablespoons sweetened whipped cream.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 294 Calories from Fat 83
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 28% Protein 5% Carb. 67%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 9 g
Saturated Fat 5 g
Cholesterol 45 mg
Sodium 168 mg
Total Carbohydrate 49 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 22 g
Protein 4 g
Vitamin A 8% Vitamin C 8% Calcium 0% Iron 3%