Although the meatballs can be rolled into balls by hand, a 1” scoop makes round meatballs not only quickly, but also uniform in size. These meatballs are a bit different than standard meatballs, since they contain extra nutrition in the form of carrots and zucchini, which add moisture, and also cold-milled flax and whole wheat bread crumbs. Round out the meal by serving these Bloody Eyeballs over whole wheat pasta; add a tossed salad and crusty bread.
1 pound lean ground beef
2 tablespoons cold milled flax
1/4 cup dry bread crumbs, preferably whole wheat
1/2 cup finely chopped carrots
1 cup finely shredded zucchini
1 teaspoon Lawry's seasoned salt, or favorite seasoned salt
32 stuffed green olives
1 26 oz. jar spaghetti sauce
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Mix the ground beef, flax, bread crumbs, eggs, carrots, zucchini, and seasoned salt well.
- Scoop 1" (about a tablespoon) balls from the mixture.
- Press a green olive in the center of each.
- Place the meatballs on a broiler pan, olive side up, and bake 15 minutes.
- Pour the Spaghetti sauce over the bottom of a 5-6 quart oval slow cooker; arrange the meatballs in a single layer in the sauce.
- Cover and let cook 1-2 hours on low.
- Serve the meatballs with sauce over pasta.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 247 Calories from Fat 132
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 54% Protein 24% Carb. 22%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 15 g
Saturated Fat 4 g
Cholesterol 66 mg
Sodium 1242 mg
Total Carbohydrate 14 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 15 g
Vitamin A 59% Vitamin C 23% Calcium 0% Iron 12%