Of course, you can vary the variety of nuts – pecans are great as well as walnuts, and if you substitute creamy peanut butter for the fruit jam, peanuts are a good choice. Coconut can be used in place of the nuts, too.
Toasting nuts brings out their flavor. Just place them on a baking sheet and let them toast in a 350° oven for 7-9 minutes – don’t over toast or they will be bitter.
To save even more time, place the chocolate mixture in the freezer – it will be ready to scoop into balls in about 15 minutes.
As you can see, this recipe is ultra versatile – the sky’s the limit to the flavoring possibilities. It’s a good idea to make several batches because they will disappear quickly. In the unlikely event there are some leftover, they can be stored in the freezer indefinitely.
36-48 depending on size
1 cup finely chopped almonds, toasted
1 8 oz. package cream cheese, softened
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted
3/4 cup vanilla wafer crumbs
1/4 cup fruit preserves, such as raspberry, apricot, or strawberry
- Place the almonds on a plate and set aside.
- In a mixer, cream the cream cheese until light; add the melted chocolate chips and beat until smooth, scraping the sides once or twice.
- Stir in the crumbs and preserves.
- Cover and chill 1 hour (or freeze 15 minutes).
- Scoop 1" portions and roll into balls; roll in the chopped almonds.
- Place in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks or freeze up to 2 months.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 87 Calories from Fat 54
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 62% Protein 6% Carb. 32%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 6 g
Saturated Fat 3 g
Cholesterol 7 mg
Sodium 19 mg
Total Carbohydrate 7 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 1 g
Vitamin A 2% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 1%