Although Brie cheese adds elegance and a distinctive flavor, if it isn’t a favorite, substitute any favorite cheese, such as Gruyere, Swiss, Parmesan (make sure the chunks are very small) or even cheddar. For convenience, the little casseroles can be partially made ahead: line the dishes with ham, top with the cooked vegetables, cover, and refrigerate. Cut the cheese into chunks and store in a plastic bag in the fridge. About 30 minutes before serving, cover with the egg and cream; top with cheese and bake.
These Elegant Little Ham & Egg Bakes are fancy enough for a special brunch, but quick and easy enough for a weekday breakfast. They are also a meal-in-one, needing only toast to dip into the luscious middle.
6 ounces thinly sliced ham, cut into 1/2" wide strips
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
1/2 red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
1/2 green bell pepper, cut into thin strips
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, (more or less to taste)
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 cup Brie cheese, cut into small cubes (or gruyere, Parmesan, Swiss, etc.)
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Butter 4 cocotte dishes or ramekins (each holding 1 1/2 - 2 cups), or spray with non-stick spray.
- Line the dishes with ham strips.
- Melt the butter in a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions and let cook for a minute or two.
- Add the mushrooms and cook until tender.
- Stir in the peppers, and let cook 1 minute.
- Divide the mixture evenly among the four dishes; break an egg into each dish.
- Spoon 2 tablespoons heavy cream over the eggs, avoiding the yolks (may reduce cream to 1 tablespoon for less creamy eggs); sprinkle the Brie chunks over the cream.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until the yolks are set.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 468 Calories from Fat 338
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 72% Protein 23% Carb. 5%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 38 g
Saturated Fat 21 g
Cholesterol 336 mg
Sodium 911 mg
Total Carbohydrate 6 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 27 g
Vitamin A 37% Vitamin C 58% Calcium 0% Iron 12%