Practice makes perfect when rolling tortillas round, but the not-so-round ones still taste wonderful and are still perfect for scooping up beans and of course, Chili Verde. To add fiber and a little additional nutrition, substitute half whole wheat flour for the white.
About 36 6- 8 Tortillas
8 cups flour
2 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons baking powder
1/2 cup lard, or shortening
2 1/2 to 3 cups hottest tap water
- Mix flour, salt, and baking powder in the large bowl of mixer.
- With the K attachment, cut in the shortening until the size of small peas (if making dough by hand, use a pastry blender).
- Put the dough hook on the mixer and gradually add the hot water until a dough forms that doesn't stick to the bowl, but is still fairly soft and pliable.
- Remove the dough to a countertop and knead a few times to make it into a large smooth ball.
- With the thumb and first finger, squeeze balls of dough the size of a walnut
- Stack the balls in a pile and cover with a damp dishtowel. Let sit 15-30 minutes (or if you're in a hurry, start with the first balls of dough that were squeezed).
- Meanwhile, heat a cast iron griddle on high.
- Pat each ball of dough into a flat disc.
- Place the flattened ball on the countertop, and using a 9" piece of closet rod (1 3/4" diameter) or small rolling pin, roll to an oval about 6 long.
- Lift the dough and turn it 1/4 turn so it forms a thin circle; continue rolling and turning until the tortilla is as thin as possible and as round as possible. Dont worry if your tortillas arent perfectly round; theyll still taste great no matter the shape, and they will become more round with practice.
- Turn the heat on the griddle down to medium-high.
- As each tortilla is rolled, place it on the griddle for a minute or two, then turn it. Adjust the heat so that the tortillas dont brown too fast or burn.
- When the tortillas are baked, stack them in a zip-type bag. When cool, seal the bag to store.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 125 Calories from Fat 28
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 22% Protein 9% Carb. 68%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 3 g
Saturated Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 3 mg
Sodium 220 mg
Total Carbohydrate 21 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 3 g
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 2%