For those who’d rather see pictures of each step, refer to the article on Homemade Flour Tortillas. Almost nothing is better than warm tortillas just off of the griddle. Kids like to slather them with butter and eat them while the butter drips on their shirts; adults are sometimes a little more careful and wrap theirs in napkins or eat them while leaning over the sink. Once made, the warm tortillas are a must for scooping fresh Mexican beans or Chili Verde, as well as other delicious Mexican dishes.
Since tortillas are fun to roll and bake, get the kids, husbands, or friends involved and have a contest to see who can roll theirs the roundest. While it takes a little practice to make the tortillas round (the only ones that are perfectly round, of course, are those substandard store-bought ones, so don’t worry about irregular sloppy edges and not-so-round shapes), they taste wonderful no matter how they look.
About 18 6” Tortillas
4 cups master baking mix
1 cup hottest tap water, about
- Heat a heavy griddle (preferably cast iron) over high heat. Most will fit over two stove burners; both burners should be on high while making the dough to heat up sufficiently.
- Mix the master baking mix and enough hot water to make a soft dough.
- Remove the dough to a countertop and knead a few times to make it into a large smooth ball.
- With the thumb and first finger, pinch balls of dough the size of a walnut; stack the balls in a pile and cover with a damp dishtowel. Let sit 15-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a cast iron griddle on high.
- Pat each ball of dough into a flat disc, and using a 9" piece of closet rod (1 3/4" diameter) or small rolling pin, roll into a thin round.
- Turn the heat on the griddle down to medium-high and place the rolled tortillas on the heated cast iron griddle for a minute or two on each side; adjust the heat so that they don't brown too fast before being cooked through.
- When the tortillas are baked, stack them in a zip-type bag. When the tortillas cool, seal the bag to store.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 121 Calories from Fat 36
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 30% Protein 6% Carb. 64%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 4 g
Saturated Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 284 mg
Total Carbohydrate 20 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 1 g
Protein 2 g
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 0%